-- Recap courtesy of Middlebury Athletic Communications --
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The 24th-ranked Wesleyan volleyball team cruised to a three-set victory over NESCAC rival Middlebury on Friday night by scores of 25-12, 25-8, 25-21.
Nicole Hilton led the Cardinals with 14 kills and a .524 attack clip as they improved to 14-2 overall and 5-1 in the NESCAC. With the loss, the Panthers fall to 9-5 and 3-2.
- The Cardinals jumped out to a commanding 11-3 advantage to start the first set, and never looked back. Their lead continued to grow as a kill from Bella Ahearn followed by an error from the Panthers sealed the 13-point victory.
- Ahead 8-5 in the second set, the visitors closed the stanza with 17 of the final 20 points, including three service aces from Olivia Guidotti and six kills by Hilton to grab a two-set advantage.
- In a tight third set tied at 17-17, the Cardinals tallied three points, capped by a kill from Kaira Muraoka-Robertson, for a 20-17 edge. The Panthers responded with a quick 3-1 spurt, moving to within 21-20 on a Wesleyan attack error. The Cardinals posted four of the last five points, capped by a kill from Hilton, to complete the sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Hogan joined Hilton in double figures with 11 kills. Muraoka-Robertson tallied 32 assists to go along with 14 digs, while Phia Bellizzi had a match-best 21 digs. Guidotti added 13 digs and finished with four service aces.
- Maggie Wise had five kills for Middlebury, while Corley Doyle and Jane Nelson each had four kills. Emma Walsh dished out 12 assists to go along with eight digs, while Gigi Alper finished with a team-best 11 digs. Doyle had a block solo and two block assists.
- Wesleyan returns to action tomorrow and will play at Little Three archrival Amherst. The match is scheduled to start at 1 pm.