SELINSGROVE, Pa. – The 20th-ranked Wesleyan volleyball team lost to Susquehanna in three sets Friday night in the River Hawk Invitational. The Cardinals lost by scores of 25-20, 25-19, 25-16 and are now 8-2 on the year. Susquehanna improves to 13-3 following the win.
- Wesleyan held an 8-6 lead in the first set but a 4-0 run by the River Hawks gave the home team a lead and they never looked back. The Cardinals cut the deficit to three down the stretch, 23-20, but two-straight points by Susquehanna sealed the win.
- The River Hawks scored the first two points of the second set and led the rest of the way. They used a 6-0 run to pull ahead, 17-7. Wesleyan mounted a comeback and got within four, 19-15, but the home team scored five-straight points and eventually won, 25-19.
- The visitors took an early 3-2 lead but Susquehanna answered with five-straight points and led the rest of the way. A 4-0 run later in the match gave the River Hawks a 21-12 advantage, making the deficit too large to overcome.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals were led by Harper Graves' eight kills, Kaira Muraoka-Robertson's 22 assists, and Phia Bellizzi's 19 digs. Bella Ahearn added six kills and Mia Jago totaled five with two blocks.
- Rosina Esposito led all players with 13 kills for the River Hawks while Sydney Portale registered 11 without committing an error. Lindsey Pugh dished out 30 assists and totaled 10 digs, and lizzie Herestofa and Esposito registered 13 and 11 digs, respectively. Veronica Kirchner and Kody Dillon each totaled four block assists.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow for Day 2 of the River Hawk Invitational as the Cardinals are scheduled to face Stevens at 1 p.m. and Hunter at 3 p.m.