MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – In its 2019 season-opener, the 16th-ranked Wesleyan women's volleyball team cruised to a commanding 3-0 win over Rhode Island College by scores of 25-4, 25-12, 25-10 on Friday night on Day 1 of the Wesleyan Invitational.
The Cardinals were led by freshman Bella Ahearn who totaled a match-high eight kills as they start the year off 1-0. The Anchormen drop to 0-2 with the loss.
- Wesleyan began the new season by scoring the first seven points en route to a decisive 25-4 win in the first set. As a team, they total 15 kills on 24 attempts without committing an error, which was good for a .625 hitting percentage.
- The strong play continued and in the second set, Wesleyan jumped out to a 9-0 lead and later took a 14-3 lead. Rhode Island College bounced back and got within five, 15-10, but the home team outscored the Anchormen 9-2 down the stretch. Another impressive offensive performance by the Cardinals led to 16 kills and one error for a .577 attack clip.
- Wesleyan once again opened strong in the third by taking a 7-1 lead and never looking back.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Harper Graves and Mia Jago each totaled seven kills and Mia Hogan added six, in one set, with a team-high .750 hitting percentage. Freshman Sarah Brown led the team in assists with 11, and also totaled two service aces, and Olivia Guidotti led the team in digs (10) and aces (3).
- As a team, Wesleyan hit .422 with 42 kills and just seven errors.
- Rhode Island College was led by Amelia Murphy who totaled three kills. Jacqueline Jutras dished out eight assists and Samantha Borges totaled nine digs.
HEAD COACH BEN SOMERA:
- "It was great to put on our jersey and start the season with a win. Although it wasn't the most competitive match, we showed some maturity in how clean and disciplined we played on our side of the net."
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow for Day 2 of the Wesleyan Invitational and the Cardinals will host Wellesley at 10 a.m. and Bowdoin at 4 p.m.