SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Wesleyan volleyball split its non-conference doubleheader on Saturday at Susquehanna, as the Cardinals lost 3-0 to the host school in their first match before recovering against Swarthmore with a 3-1 victory. Wesleyan is now 15-3 overall on the year.
SUSQUEHANNA MATCH HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals were sept in the first match of the day by scores of 25-19, 25-21, 25-23. Earlier this year, Wesleyan defeated Susquehanna, 3-2.
- On Saturday, the Cardinals led 12-10 in the first set, but five unanswered points by the home team gave Susquehanna the lead for good. The River Hawks scored five of the final six points.
- The second frame went back-and-forth often until Susquehanna took a 12-11 lead and never looked back. The River Hawks led by as much as five, but Wesleyan rallied to get within one, 22-21. Three-straight errors by the Cardinals led to a win for Susquehanna.
- The River Hawks jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the third and final frame and led most of the way. Wesleyan scored four-straight points to go ahead 22-20, but Susquehanna closed out the match with five of the next six points as Kody Dillon secured the win with a kill.
- Stasie Litinsky '20 led the Cardinals with eight kills, Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 dished out 27 assists and tallied 15 digs, and Phia Bellizzi '21 led the team with 16 digs. Nicole Hilton '20 also registered seven kills with a .538 hitting percentage.
- Dillon and Hannah Lyons led Susquehanna with 10 kills each. Lindsey Pugh totaled 33 assists and 13 digs and Lizzie Herestofa posted a match-high 17 digs.
- Wesleyan responded nicely in its second match of the day as the Cardinals defeated Swarthmore in a tight, four-set contest by scores of 25-23, 27-29, 26-16, 25-14.
- The first set went back-and-forth often with the largest lead just four points by Wesleyan up 15-11. Ahead by one down the stretch, 24-23, Litinsky recorded the kill to seal the win.
- The second frame featured an incredible rally by Swarthmore. Wesleyan scored 10 unanswered points to go up 19-8, but the Garnet slowly cut into the deficit and trailing by eight, they went on a 10-0 run of their own en route to a thrilling 29-27 win.
- The Cardinals came out strong in the third and scored the first seven points. They never trailed and went on to win by nine, 25-16.
- It was a similar story in the fourth as Wesleyan opened the match with a 6-0 run and led by double digits most of the way as they cruised to a 25-14 win.
- Litinsky was impressive as she finished with 20 kills and a .370 hitting percentage. Muraoka-Robertson tallied another double-double with 36 assists and 11 digs, and Bellizzi led the defense with 30 digs.
- Swarthmore was led by Mehra Den braven with 15 kills and Isabelle Andrews with 13. Alyssa Nathan totaled 36 assists and 21 digs, while Emma Morgan-Bennett recorded seven total blocks.
- Wesleyan wraps up regular season action next weekend on the road as the Cardinals face Bowdoin on Friday, Oct. 26 (8 p.m.) in a battle for first place in the NESCAC, followed by Tufts on Saturday (2 p.m.).