NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wesleyan University volleyball team extended its win streak to five following a thrilling 3-2 win over in-state NESCAC rival Connecticut College on Thursday night at Luce Field House.
The Cardinals won by scores of 25-23, 21-25, 25-18, 22-25, 15-6 and are now 5-1 overall and a perfect 3-0 in league play. The Camels drop to 4-5 on the year and 1-2 in conference action.
- The first set went back-and-forth often to set the tone for the match. Trailing 16-12, Wesleyan went on an 8-2 run to take the lead for good. A kill by Harper Graves '21 sealed the victory.
- Conn. College used an 8-1 run in the second frame to go ahead, 21-14. The run proved to be the difference as the Camels led the rest of the way before a kill by Maddie Rust gave the home team the 25-21 win to even the match at 1-1.
- The Cardinals scored five unanswered points early in the third set, led by two kills from Mia Hogan '20, to go up 5-1. They wouldn't trail the rest of the way and back-to-back errors by Conn. College gave Wesleyan the advantage in the match once again.
- Facing a loss, the Camels came out hot in the fourth frame and jumped out to a 7-2 lead. Wesleyan went ahead 19-18, but a 6-1 run by the home team essentially put the set away as Avery Light recorded the kill to force a decisive fifth set.
- It was all Wesleyan in the fifth frame as the Cardinals scored 10 of the first 13 points. The Camels got within five, but four-straight points by the visitors sealed the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Offensively, Hogan led the Cardinals with 17 kills and a .333 hitting percentage. Graves and Stasie Litinsky '20 added nine kills each, and Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 led the team with 28 assists. Grace Rose '21 added 14 of her own.
- On the defensive side, Phia Bellizzi '21 recorded a team-high 24 digs and Jenna Otaola '22 totaled 20. Nicole Hilton '20 had two block assists and two solo.
- Eliza Wolcott and Light led the Camels with 12 and 10 kills, respectively, while Grace McGee led all players with 42 assists. Wolcott added a game-high 28 digs, Dayna McCue had 20, McGree registered 11 and Jenny Kellog totaled 10.
- Wesleyan returns to action tomorrow for the two-day Johnson & Wales Invitational. The Cardinals face Roger Williams tomorrow night at 7 p.m. and will face Scranton on Saturday at 1 p.m.