Score: Wesleyan 3, Westfield State 0 (28-5, 25-15, 25-15)
Records: Wesleyan (14-6); Westfield State (11-17)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gymnasium)
Date: Tuesday, October 25th
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University volleyball team cruised to its fourth consecutive win Tuesday night as the Cardinals swept Westfield State in non-conference action, 3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan set the tone early as the team hit .481 in the first set with 13 kills and zero errors. The Cardinals jumped out to an 8-1 lead and never looked back en route to a decisive 25-8 victory.
- The Owls scored the first two points of the second set and led 3-1, but a 4-0 run by Wesleyan put the home team ahead for good. Westfield State got within five after a kill by Brianna Starkey late in the game, but the Cardinals scored the final five points of the set as Fallon Konow '20 recorded back-to-back kills to seal the win.
- In the third and final set, Wesleyan jumped out to a 3-0 advantage and increased its lead to 12 after a 7-0 run to go ahead, 17-5. Westfield State cut the deficit to seven, but three straight points from the Cardinals put the match away.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan recorded 36 kills from 10 different players, and hit .224 as a unit. Konow led the way with a game-high eight points and only one error for a .538 hitting percentage. Sarah Swenson '18 and Mia Hogan '19 each recorded five kills, Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 dished out a game-high 26 assists, and Olivia Guidotti '20 led all players with 19 digs. Hogan added 14 digs to go along with her five kills.
- The Owls were led by Starkey and Jen Green with six and four kills, respectively. Brigid Murray recorded 15 assists and six digs, and Lizzie Taylor added a team-high 13 digs.
- Wesleyan wraps up regular season play with a difficult NESCAC weekend against its Little Three rivals. On Friday, Oct. 28, the Cardinals face off against Williams on the road at 8 p.m. The following day, they head to Amherst, Mass. to play Amherst at 12 p.m.
- The Owls are back in action Saturday and will host Massachusetts Maritime Academy at 11 a.m.