Event: 2016 Wellesley Volleyball Invitational
Location: Wellesley, Mass. (Dorothy Towne Fieldhouse & Keohane Sports Center)
Date: Saturday, Oct. 15th
Time: 9 a.m./11 a.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's volleyball team played back-to-back five-set thrillers Saturday morning at the Wellesley Volleyball Invitational. After dropping the first match to Ithaca, 3-2, the Cardinals rallied down 2-0 against Wellesley to pull off the 3-2 come-from-behind win.
Score: Ithaca 3, Wesleyan 2 (25-23, 21-25, 15-25, 25-18, 15-9)
Records: Wesleyan (10-6); Ithaca (18-4)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ithaca recorded 16 kills in the first set to edge Wesleyan, 25-23, before the Cardinals responded with consecutive wins in sets two (25-12) and three (25-15). However, the Bombers responded with a rally of their own. Following a 25-18 win in the fourth frame, Ithaca sealed the win with a 15-9 victory in set five.
- Wesleyan totaled 51 kills with a .168 hitting percentage, while the Bombers finished with 55 on a .179 mark.
- Freshmen Mia Hogan and Stasie Litinsky led the Cardinals with 12 kills each, while classmates Gabby Bennett and Nicole Hilton tallied eight. Three different players dished out double-digit assists, led by 17 from Audrey Konow '20, while Olivia Guidotti '20 recorded a team-high 13 digs. Hogan finished with a double-double as she tallied 12 digs to go with her 12 kills.
- Ithaca was led by Katie Evans and Taylor McCarthy, who finished with 14 and 11 kills, respectively. Kayla Gromen dished out 23 assists and added 10 digs, and Caitlyn Floyd tallied 22 assists. Tara Stilwell led the team with 15 digs, while Amanda Cerruti finished with nine kills and eight blocks (7 assists; 1 solo).
Score: Wesleyan 3, Wellesley 2 (22-25, 17-25, 25-21, 25-23, 15-7)
Records: Wesleyan (11-6); Wellesley (11-11)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals dropped the first two sets to fall into a deep hole, but responded nicely with wins of 25-21, 25-23 and 15-7 to claim the come-from-behind win.
- As a team, they hit .364 in the third set and .286 in the fourth to swing the momentum in their favor.
- Down 2-0 in the match and knotted at 21-21 in the third frame, Wesleyan rattled off four consecutive points capped off by a kill from Madeleine Lundberg '19 to earn the win.
- They trailed by as much as four late in the fourth set, 19-15, but went on an 8-0 run en route to the win to force a fifth set.
- Tied at 5-5 in the final frame, a kill from Lundberg sparked a 4-0 Wesleyan run. The Cardinals would never look back as they went on to win the set and the match.
- Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 led the Cardinals with 37 assists and 13 digs. Bennett had a team-high 10 kills, while Hilton and Lundberg added nine, Kailee Chimento '20 registered eight, and Guidotti led the team with 25 digs. Hilton also recorded an incredible .600 hitting percentage and eight blocks.
- Wellesley was led by Meghan Shoop who tallied a game-high 13 kills. Michelle Li registered 39 assists and 10 digs, and Samantha Hoang recorded 18 digs.
- The Cardinals return to the court Friday, Oct. 21 and will host Conn. College at 7 p.m.