Scores: Wesleyan 5, MIT 0
Records: Wesleyan (12-4); MIT (13-9)
Location: Brunswick, Maine (Pickard Courts)
Date: Saturday, May 12
The Lead: The No. 7 Wesleyan University women's tennis team cruised to a 5-0 sweep over No. 22 MIT in the second round of the 2017 NCAA Division III Championships and has advanced to the Round of 16 for a second consecutive season. It was the Cardinals' second win over the Engineers this season, as they defeated them 8-1 on April 8.
- Wesleyan took a commanding 3-0 lead after doubles play.
- Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 cruised to an 8-0 sweep in the No. 1 spot.
- In No. 2 doubles, Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Nicole McCann '18 won 8-5, and Aashli Budhiraja '18 and Dasha Dubinsky '18 earned an 8-3 victory in No. 3 doubles.
- In singles play, Chong and Yu sealed the win from the No. 1 spot and No. 2 position, respectively.
- Chong won handedly at the top of the lineup with wins of 6-1, 6-1 over Dora Tzeng, while Yu won by identical scores against Kelly Zhu.
- Wesleyan will play the host school and No. 8 Bowdoin in the third round tomorrow, May 14 at 12 p.m. The Cardinals and Polar Bears met last Friday, with Bowdoin claiming a 5-3 victory in the first round of the NESCAC Championships.