MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan men's and women's swimming and diving teams hosted the fifth annual CT Cup on Saturday afternoon. The men placed third out of six teams with 429.5, while the women came in third out of seven squads with 507 points. Coast Guard took home the victory on both the men's (686 points) and women's (520.5 points) side. The top three teams on the women's side were separated by just 13.5 points as Connecticut College placed second with 513.5 points.
- Mengmeng Gibbs guided the Cardinals with a trio of first-place finishes. Gibbs won the 50-yard breast (30.74), the 100-yard breast (1:08.59) and the 100-yard IM (1:01.96).
- First-year Zoe Paglia swept both diving events, placing first off the 1-meter board with 227.35 points and earning the top-spot in the 3-meter board with 196 points.
- Other first-place finishes came from Rachel Townsend in the 100-yard fly (1:01.00) and Grace Middleton in the 50-yard fly (27.00), while the 200-yard medley relay (Caroline Murphy, Gibbs, Middleton and Heddy Parker) won with a time of 1:51.17, less than a second ahead of the next team.
- Second-place finishes came from Murphy in the 50-yard back (28.25), Leah Cravitz in the 100-yard fly (1:02.05), Middleton in the 50-yard free (25.46), Hannah O'Halloran in the 100-yard back (1:00.90) and Sarah Schou in the 50-yard fly (27.32).
- The 200-yard free relay composed of Middleton, O'Halloran, Parker and Schou earned runner-up honors with a time of 1:40.82.
- Third-place finishes were recorded by O'Halloran in the 50-yard back (28.89), Talia Lanckton off the 1-meter (184.60 points) and the 3-meter (191.30 points), Murphy in the 100-yard back (1:02.02) and Townsend in the 100-yard IM (1:04.11).
- Runner-up finishes came from Eric Tran in the 100-yard fly (52.97), Joel Groves off the 1-meter board with 170.30 points and Jeffrey Haegelin in the 50-yard fly (24.31).
- The squad has two rookies earn third-place honors. Mason Polaner placed third in the 500-yard free with a time of 4:49.70, while Richard Ettinger touched the wall in 55.51 in the 100-yard IM.
- Fourth-place finishes came from Ettinger in the 50-yard back (25.12) and the 100-yard back (54.14), Groves off the 3-meter with 169 points and Eric Tran in the 100-yard IM (56.26). The 200-yard free relay (Haegelin, Jeremy Kim, Aidan Hood and Polaner) placed fourth with a time of 1:31.23.
- Justin Sheen placed fifth in the 50-yard breast (27.93) and the 100-yard breast (1:00.28), while the 200-yard medley relay composed of Ettinger, Tran, Kim and Hood placed fifth with a time of 1:00.28.
- The Cardinals are idle until January 4th when they head to Hamilton for a dual meet.