LEWISTON, Maine – The Wesleyan women's swimming and diving team traveled to No. 19 Bates for a dual meet on Saturday. The Cardinals were led by first-place finishes from Mengmeng Gibbs and rookie Zoe Paglia.
"I was impressed with the improvements several athletes made from last weekend's competition," stated head coach Peter Solomon. "Despite some injuries and illnesses that have kept some competitors out in the first few weeks, our team is responding well to training and we are already seeing significant time drops in just the second meet of the season. Compared to where we were at this time last year, we are in a really good place heading into the holiday stretch."
- Gibbs placed first in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:28.49, while earning runner-up honors in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:08.18).
- Paglia bested all divers off the 3-meter board, recording 213.59 points, while placing third off the 1-meter with 188.25 points.
- Second-place finishes also came from Grace Middleton in the 50-yard freestyle (25.53) and Hannah O'Halloran in the 200-yard backstroke (2:10.68).
- The 200-yard freestyle relay (Heddy Parker, O'Halloran, Gibbs, and Middleton) placed second, clocking in at 1:41.47.
- The Cardinals saw third-place finishes from Leah Cravitz in the 100-yard butterfly (1:02.05), Middleton in the 100-yard freestyle (55.32) and O'Halloran in the 200-yard freestyle (2:00.85).
- First-year Khushi Jain placed fourth in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:03.33, while Parker earned fourth in the 50-yard freestyle, clocking in at 26.03.
- The Cardinals entertain No. 15 Amherst on Monday at 5:00 p.m.