Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 23 Wesleyan Falls Short at Trinity

Kate Hausladen tallied her fifth career goal (Steve McLaughlin Photography).
Kate Hausladen tallied her fifth career goal (Steve McLaughlin Photography).

HARTFORD, Conn. – The No. 23 Wesleyan women's soccer team (9-3-2, 4-3-2) saw its comeback attempt fall short at Trinity on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinals cut into the Bantam's two-goal lead early in the first half, but Trinity (6-6-2, 4-4-1) held on for the 2-1 victory.  


  • Wesleyan had a great chance to open the scoring 2:43 in when Kate Hausladen sent a through ball to Grace Devanny. Bantam goaltender Jennifer Stuart came charging off her line to challenge Devanny, forcing the deflection out of bounds.  
  • Emily Ribatt looked to get the visitors on the board with 4:58 expired, but her shot from 30 yards out hit the crossbar and ricocheted away.
  • Trinity broke the scoreless draw at the 9:31 mark after a corner kick by Tricia Pollock. A diving Sarah Hammond got a piece of the ball, but tipped it into traffic before Delaney Markham one-timed the rebound into the goal for the 1-0 edge.
  • The Bantams increased the lead just 2:09 later, scoring in the exact same fashion as the first. Wesleyan's Hammond got a hand on the corner by Pollock, but again Markham was there to one-time it into the net for the 2-0 advantage.
  • The Cardinals responded at the 13:46 mark, cutting the deficit to one (2-1). Devanny carried the ball down the right side, before crossing it to Hausladen at the six. Hausladen took a touch to the right of a Trinity defender, before burying the ball in the upper left corner.
  • Wesleyan looked for the equalizer at the 39:04 mark. Andi Wiley sent the ball from the middle to Ribatt on the left, but Ribatt's one-timer hit the crossbar.
  • The Cardinals had back-to-back chances to knot the game early in the second half. With 51:33 expired, Hauslanden used her head to redirect a cross by Dani Milavanov, but the attempt went just wide left. Just 1:08 later, Hausladen one-timed a cross by Devanny, but the ball hit the right post and was cleared away by a Bantam defender.
  • Wesleyan's final opportunity for the equalizer came when a penalty was called in the box, but the penalty kick at the 77:52 mark sailed high, as Trinity hung on for the 2-1 win.


  • Hammond suffered the loss, making just one stop in goal, while Stuart earned the win with eight saves for the Bantams.
  • The Cardinals outshot Trinity 21-6, while holding a 7-5 edge in shots.
  • Devanny is tied for first in the conference in goals (10) and is tied for second with points (22), while Hausladen second on the team in points (11) and 10th in the conference with five goals.


  • Wesleyan wraps up the regular season when it travels to Connecticut College on Wednesday for a 3:00 p.m. contest.