Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 21 Wesleyan Sees Unbeaten Streak Snapped by No. 13 Tufts

Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin
Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The No. 21 Wesleyan women's soccer team (6-2-2, 2-2-2) saw its eight-game unbeaten streak come to an end on Sunday, falling 2-0 to No. 13 Tufts (8-1-1, 4-1-0). The loss is just the second for the Cardinals and first since their season opener on September 7th. Wesleyan's streak was the longest in program history, as it surpassed the previous record of six that was set by the 1993 and 1981 teams.

"Despite a good performance in the first half, we were unable to capitalize on our chances," stated head coach Eva Meredith. "The second half was back and forth, but a strong Tufts team prevailed. Looking ahead, we are excited to have a week to prepare for our next conference game where we get to celebrate our seniors."  


  • The Cardinals came out of the gates strong, with a great chance to get on the board at the 6:40 mark. Kate Hausladen sent a cross into the box intended for Audrey Lavey, but Tufts' goalkeeper Hayley Bernstein came charging out to deny a Wesleyan shot.
  • The hosts continued offensive pressure, with a good opportunity coming at the 11:02 mark. Emily Ribatt sent a ball over the top to Lavey who's one-timer went just wide left. Hausladen one-timed the loose ball as the Jumbos scrambled to clear it away from danger. The ball slipped through Bernstein's hands, but she was able to smother is just in time to deny a goal.
  • Wesleyan's Hausladen was relentless, with the best chance coming at the 24:40 mark. Danielle Soto found Hausladen on a through ball, but her shot hit the crossbar and ricocheted away from the goal.
  • Tufts broke the scoreless draw with 25:25 expired. Margaux Ameer sent a cross into the box that Callie Scala just barely got her head on, flicking it past Cardinal goalkeeper Sarah Hammond for the 1-0 edge.
  • The Jumbos threatened to double the advantage at the 27:01 mark when Liz Reed beat Hammond, but her shot went just wide right as the Cardinals headed into the intermission within striking distance.
  • The second half saw back-and-forth action before Tufts found the back of the goal for the 2-0 advantage. Madeleine Pero settled a rebound on the right side after an initial shot by Tally Clark was blocked, before Pero snuck the ball past Hammond on the far side.


  • Hammond made four saves in goal for Wesleyan, while Tuft's Bernstein stopped all eight shots faced.


  • The Cardinals are idle until Saturday when they celebrate Senior Day by hosting Bates at 11:00 a.m.