Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wesleyan Ties Colby 0-0

Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin
Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's soccer team (4-1-1, 2-1-1) fought hard for 110 minutes against Colby, but neither team was able to net a game-winner as they finished in a scoreless tie. With the draw, the Cardinals remain unbeaten through five-straight games.

"It is very challenging to play back-to-back NESCAC games," expressed head coach Eva Meredith. "I think we had a lot of great opportunities today, we just needed to capitalize on them."


  • The Cardinals had their first quality opportunity at the 9:37 mark when Andi Wiley sent a corner into the box, but Colby goalkeeper Dani Lonati got a hand on the ball, punching it out of danger.
  • At the 12:27 mark the Mules threatened when Olivia Siegel rifled a shot from the top of the 18, but Wesleyan's Sarah Hammond just got a hand on the ball to deny the chance.
  • With 15:05 expired, the Cardinals set up a great chance to score. Cheyanne Ollie sent a ball from midfield to Emily Ribatt on the left wing, but Grace Devanny's header attempt on Ribatt's cross went just wide right.
  • Wesleyan's best chance to get on the board in the first half came at the 27:28 mark after Wiley sent a ball over the top to Devanny who one-timed the ball to Audrey Lavey, but Lavey's shot from the right sailed across the goal, just high of the crossbar.  
  • With less than a minute to play in the first stanza, Danielle Soto had a breakaway opportunity, but Lonati came charging off her line to deny a shot by Soto as the teams headed into the break knotted 0-0
  • The Cardinals came out of the break strong, with a great chance in the 54th minute. An initial header by Devanny was denied by Colby goalkeeper Shannon Gray, before Isabelle Martin's one-timer on the rebound hit the post.
  • Wesleyan threatened twice in the final 3:04 of regulation with its best opportunity at the 88:04 mark. Soto fired a hard as the ball skidded across the crossbar and careened away.
  • Neither team had a quality opportunity to notch the game-winner in the first overtime session.
  • In the second extra stanza, Colby's Siegel had the best chance to end the game, but her shot with 1:14 expired was denied by Hammond as the teams ended in a scoreless tie.


  • Hammond made seven stops in her second shutout of the year for the Cardinals.
  • Lonati made two saves in the first 45 minutes, while Gray recorded seven stops in the final 65 minutes.
  • Wesleyan held an advantage in shots (20-8) and corner kicks (8-1).


  • After playing three games this week, the Cardinals have a light week as they travel to Coast Guard on Wednesday for a 4:00 p.m. start.