Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wesleyan Earns 2-2 Draw With Camels During Regular-Season Finale

Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin
Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's soccer team battled Connecticut College (7-6-2, 2-6-2) to a 2-2 draw in the regular-season finale for both teams on Tuesday evening.

The Cardinals (8-4-3, 4-3-3) will be competing in the 2018 NESCAC Tournament beginning on Saturday, which will be their first appearance in the tournament since 2013. Wesleyan is ranked No. 5 in the tournament and will travel to fourth-ranked Tufts for a Quarterfinal matchup.


  • Connecticut College came out of the gates strong, netting its first goal just 2:07 into the contest. Tori Kretzmer sent a throughball from midfield, before Alex Baltazar beat a Wesleyan defender and buried the ball in the bottom left for the one-goal lead.
  • The Camels extended their lead to 2-0 at the 4:01 mark when Mia Santana collected a loose ball in the box, before rifling a shot into the upper right 90.
  • Wesleyan had a great opportunity to score at the 10:06 mark, but Meg Harrop's header shot sailed just high of the crossbar.
  • The Cardinals looked to get on the board 32:22 in after a cross by Melissa Wilhelm. Lauren Goetzman connected with the cross, making a diving-header, but Camels' goalkeeper Sarah Williams thwarted the opportunity to preserve the two-goal advantage.  
  • Down by two at the intermission, the hosts turned up the pressure in the second stanza. After two great opportunities in the first minutes of action, Wesleyan cut the deficit to one. Freshman Andi Wiley redirected Katie Stewart Frizzell's cornerkick with her head, before Gianna Argento flicked it by Williams to make it 2-1.
  • The visitors looked to add a third tally at the 75:10 mark, but Kat Norton's breakaway opportunity sent Wesleyan goalkeeper Sarah Hammond charging off her line to deny the chance. 
  • Wesleyan was awarded a penalty kick with just 4:05 remaining in regulation. Wilhelm stepped up to the line and buried the ball in the bottom left corner, knotting the game 2-2 with her first-career goal.
  • The contest was forced into overtime, where the first extra session saw no quality opportunities for either team.
  • The Camels had their only chance to come away with the win 2:13 into the second extra stanza when they were awarded a penalty kick. Unfortunately for Connecticut College, the shot hit the crossbar and ricocheted back into traffic, before a Wesleyan defender cleared the ball away.
  • Neither team was able to find the game-winner in the final 7:47 of play, as the clock ran out and the contest ended in a 2-2 draw. 


  • Hammond made 12 saves in goal for the Cardinals, while Williams had nine stops for the Camels.