Posted: Feb 15, 2020
-- Recap by Gio Ortiz '21 --
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University wrestling team competed against Lycoming on Saturday, falling by a score of 36-7.
- At 174, Marco Gaita won a decision (5-2) over Hadyn Swartwood who is 27-4 on the season. With the win, Gaita advances to 28-4 in what has been an incredible season for the sophomore. He sits atop the New England rankings in his weight class, and will vie for a top-two seed in the Northeast Regional tournament.
- Amir Daouk defeated Shane Casey at 125 via major decision (13-4), finishing the regular season at 17-11. Daouk will also compete in the regional tournament.
- At 133, senior Tristan Stetson finishes the regular season at 24-10 as the third-ranked New England wrestler in his weight class, looking to secure a top-four seed in the regional tournament.
- Aaron Goldman wrestled admirably at 157 against All-American Trevor Corl, falling via decision (2-0) and finishing the season at 14-6. Goldman looks to secure a top-six seed in the regional tournament.
HEAD COACH DREW BLACK:
- "It has been a challenging dual season as we competed with many significant starters out due to unfortunate injury. We are now moving forward and looking ahead to finishing strong, competing hard, and wrestling our best at the most important part of the year at our Northeast Regional Championships and qualifying guys to the NCAA Tournament."
- Next Saturday, Feb. 22, the Cardinals compete in the NEWA Futures Tournament hosted by Western New England. The tournament begins at 11:00 am.