SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Wesleyan University wrestling team won the Doug Parker Invitational Saturday, hosted by Springfield College, with an impressive 125 points and three first-place finishers. Carter Armendarez '19 won the 149-pound bracket, Devon Carrillo '17E claimed 197 and Isaiah Bellamy '18 won 285.
The Cardinals beat out Southern Maine who finished second with 116 points followed by Springfield in third (106), United States Coast Guard Academy in fourth (104.5) and Centenary in fifth (99). Williams finished seventh overall with 76 points and Trinity placed 14th with 34.
- Armendarez defeated Jojo Gonzalez of Springfield in the 149-pound finals with a 15-8 decision.
- At 197, Carrillo earned a 6-4 decision in overtime over Etiini Udott Hackettstown of Centenary to claim the title. Udott is the No. 4 wrestler in the country at 197.
- Bellamy is also off to a great start in 2017-18 and defeated Joe Fusco of Springfield in the 285-pound first place match with a pin in 5:45.
- In addition to the three first-place winners, Dominic Pirraglia '18 finished as the runner-up in the 184-pound class as he reached the finals before falling short to John Boyle of Western New England by way of a 10-5 decision.
- The Cardinals excelled at 125 as well with Amir Daouk '20 and Zack Murillo '19 placing third and fifth, respectively.
- Sophomore Tristan Stetson finished fourth in the 133-pound bracket and freshman Simon Chee placed sixth at 184.
- The Cardinals return to the mats Saturday, Dec. 2 and will head to RIT for the RIT Invitational beginning at 9:30 a.m.