-- Recap courtesy of Bates Athletic Communications --
LEWISTON, Maine. – Abby Manning scored four goals and dished out one assist to lead the fifth-ranked Wesleyan women's lacrosse team to an 11-7 season-opening win at Bates in cold conditions Saturday afternoon on Garcelon Field.
Four different players score more than one goal for the Cardinals (1-0, 1-0 NESCAC), with Julia Gretsky added two goals and two assists. Johanna Copeland and Emma Richards scored two goals apiece as well. Bates (1-2, 0-1 NESCAC) got two goals each from Jordyn Tveter, Margaret Smith and Summer Dias with Dias chipping in two assists.
- Tveter gave the Bobcats an early 1-0 lead when she scored with 28:38 left in the first half despite Wesleyan holding a player-up advantage at the time.
- After Tveter's goal, the Cardinals went on a 6-0 run to take command of the game, with four of those goals coming in player-up situations. Tveter scored again with 6:14 left in the first half to end the Wesleyan run.
- Gretsky connected with Kate Balicki for the final goal of the half, putting Wesleyan up 7-2 at the break.
- Kathryn Grennon opened the scoring in the second half to cut the deficit to 7-3. But the Cardinals scored the next four goals, extending their lead to 11-3 on Manning's fourth goal of the afternoon with 11:55 left in regulation.
- Bates refused to go away as Dias scored two goals in a row and then assisted on a Smith goal with 9:07 left, making the score 11-6.
- The Cardinals' defense held strong though and Bates didn't score again until Dias connected with Smith for the latter's second goal of the contest with 59 seconds remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Allegra Grant made nine saves between the pipes for the Cardinals and Cammie Lavoie saved four of eight shots on goal over the final 30 minutes.
- The Cardinals held a 24-17 edge in ground balls, with Grant, Case Tucker and Olivia Lai recording three each. Avery Prince recorded three ground balls to pace Bates. Each team committed 21 turnovers and the Bobcats won the draw control battle 12-7.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Wednesday, March 4 as they host Babson at 6 p.m.