Posted: Feb 14, 2020
-- Recap by Emma Richards '19 --
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's ice hockey team lost to Hamilton College Friday night in Spurrier-Synder Rink, 5-1.
- The Continentals and Cardinals battled back in forth throughout the first period but ended the period scoreless.
- At 6:14 into the second period, during a powerplay, Maura Holden received the puck, crossed it in front of the net where Kate Piacenza was there to shoot and score.
- In the ninth minute in the second period, Hamilton tallied another point on the board with Hyla Mosher effortlessly maneuvering around Cardinal defenders for a top-right shot and goal.
- Wesleyan and Hamilton players battled up against the boards when Mosher came in to steal the puck and cross it across the crease for Maddie Hong to tip it in across the goal line at 11:02 into the second.
- With two minutes remaining in the second period, Nancy Loh had a breakaway, again crossing the puck in front of the net where Holden tipped in the puck for a textbook finish.
- The Cardinals scored their first and only goal 8:16 into the third with a far-out shot and goal by Maggie Curran coming from Brooke Keough
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan goalie Allegra Grant recorded 40 saves between the posts.
- Hamilton goalie Sidney Molnar made 10 stops and is now 7-3-0.
- Wesleyan and Hamilton return to the ice tomorrow for a 3 p.m. puck drop. The Cardinals will honor their six seniors before the game: Sam Smith, Colleen Castro, Caroline Seibold, Miranda Nestor, Allegra Grant, and Allie Damren.