Posted: Jan 18, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's hockey team (4-9-0, 1-6-0) dropped a road contest 4-1 at Hamilton (10-4-1, 4-2-1) on Friday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan opened the scoring 10:29 into the first when a slap shot by Kendall Carr from the top of the left faceoff circle found the back of the net, making it 1-0.
- Hamilton responded with 14:07 expired, knotting the game 1-1. Maddie Beitler carried the puck behind the goal, before sending a pass to Jess Haviland who tucked the puck inside the near post.
- The Continentals extended their lead 4:29 into the second frame when Andrea Rockey's backhanded shot trickled past Wesleyan's goaltender Allegra Grant, making it 2-1.
- Hamilton extended its lead to 3-1 with 12:19 expired in the third on a power play when Kate Piacenza one-timed a pass from Nancy Loh, tucking it inside the right post.
- The Continentals tacked on another tally at the 14:54 mark of the third to make it 4-1. Taegen Blackwell sent a pass towards the crease, before Jenna Jewell batted it down and scored from the doorstep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Grant suffered the loss in goal for the Cardinals, making 32 saves, while Sammy Johnson had 10 stops for the Continentals.
- Wesleyan and Hamilton will play tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.