Posted: Jan 15, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's hockey team (4-8-0) edged Nichols (8-5-3) on Tuesday evening, 3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan got on the board at the 7:36 mark during a power play. Jackie Kilar blasted a shot from the right faceoff circle, before Sydnée Goyer tipped in the shot for the 1-0 lead.
- The Bison looked to take advantage of a power play opportunity beginning at the 7:49 mark of the first period. The visitors took nine shots over the ensuing two minutes, but the Cardinal defense held strong and were able to kill the power play.
- Wesleyan had a great chance to extend its lead with 16:37 expired, but Gina Mangiafridda's shot hit the pipe and careened away.
- Nichols wasted little time finding the equalizer out of the break, scoring just 48 seconds into the second frame after Mel McAleer sent a pass to the right post. Kelly Ferreira connected with the pass, wrapped around Cardinal netminder Allegra Grant and pushed the puck into the net on the far side.
- The hosts continued with pressure in the offensive zone, holding a 12-4 shots advantage in the second frame, but were unable to capitalize as the teams skated into the break knotted 1-1.
- Wesleyan came out strong in the third period, scoring 1:04 in when Cali Stevens beat two defenders, before sneaking the puck past Nichols' goaltender Cassandra Goyette to make it 2-1. The tally was Stevens' first career-goal.
- The Cardinals extended their lead to 3-1 with 18:22 expired when Ally Detre scored an empty netter.
- After pulling their goaltender, the Bison responded with 46 seconds remaining in regulation. Alicia Hunks redirected an initial shot by Mikayla Castro, bringing Nichols within one (3-2), but Wesleyan was able to run out the clock and hang on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Grant made 29 saves to pick up the win in goal for Wesleyan, while Goyette had 21 stops for Nichols.
- The Cardinals held an impressive 49-19 advantage in faceoff wins during the contest.
- Wesleyan will travel to Hamilton next weekend with games at 7:00 p.m. on Friday evening and 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.