BOSTON, Mass. – The Wesleyan women's ice hockey (2-0-0) team topped UMASS.-Boston 2-1 on Saturday during the first round of the 12th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament. With the win, the Cardinals advance to the Codfish Bowl Championship game against the winner of the 4:00 p.m. Manhattanville/Bowdoin game. Wesleyan handed the Beacons (3-5-1) their first loss in the first round of the tournament since 2009.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Beacons had a great opportunity just 1:46 into the first period, but Elie Fallieras' shot from the slot was denied by Wesleyan's goaltender Sam Smith.
- The Cardinals looked to get on the board at the 14:25 mark, but Caroline Seibold's shot from the left faceoff circle was denied with a glove save by UMASS.-Boston's goalie Alyssa DePippo.
- In the middle frame, Wesleyan took a 1-0 lead just 1:25 in when Gina Mangiafridda found the back of the net on a pass from Seibold during an extra player situation.
- The Beacons knotted the contest at the 8:31 mark on a power-play opportunity when Katie Leffler redirected a blast by Kaleigh Bouregard to make it 1-1.
- UMASS.-Boston looked to extend it's lead two minutes later when they skated five-on-four, but the Cardinals were able to kill off the power-play chance.
- Wesleyan's Ally Detre collected a loose puck in front of the Beacon goal with under a minute remaining in the second period, before her shot hit the crossbar and careened away, as the teams headed into the break tied at 1-1.
- The Cardinals extended their lead to 2-1 at the 13:00 mark of the third period when Allie Damren beat a Beacon, before sneaking the puck past netminder DePippo on the near side.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith picked up the win in goal for Wesleyan, making an impressive 31 saves during the victory, while DePippo made 23 stops for the Beacons.
- The Cardinals will faceoff against the winner of the Manhattanville/Bowdoin game in the Codfish Bowl Tournament Championship game on Sunday at 4:00 p.m.