-- Recap by Pat Clare '19 --
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's basketball team defeated NESCAC opponent Colby at home on Friday night in Silloway Gymnasium, 62-50, while securing a spot in the conference tournament.
With the win, the Cardinals improve to 14-9 overall and 4-5 in conference. The visiting Colby Mules fall to 8-15 and 2-8 in conference in their season finale.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a back and forth first quarter led by Marina Petruzzi's 7 points as the Cardinals took a 15-12 advantage at the end of one.
- The Mules opened the second quarter on a 9-0 run thanks in part to baskets by Ainsley Burns, Keagan Dunbar, and Jane MacKerron to grab a 22-15 lead.
- The Cardinals responded with back to back three-point plays by Petruzzi and Emma Roush to cut the Colby lead to 24-23.
- A Maddie Clark layup and Maggie Lee free throw cut the deficit to two to close the first half as the Mules lead 30-28.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals jumped out to a 37-33 lead midway through the third quarter following three layups by Ava Tompkins, Katy O'Connor, and Roush.
- Both teams traded baskets for the final two minutes of the third quarter as Wesleyan held on to a small lead, but Carli Christofori's three tied the game at 42 as time expired.
- Christofori picked up right where she left off opening the fourth quarter by draining a straightaway three. However, the Cardinals answered back with a three of their own by Maddie Clark.
- A five-minute, 14-0 scoring run by Wesleyan gave the Cardinals a 56-45 lead and they would not look back.
- An O'Connor three-point play and stifling team defense down the stretch sealed the deal for Wesleyan en route to a 62-50 victory over the visiting Mules.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Clark led all scorers with 19 followed by Petruzzi with 14. Roush provided a huge lift off the bench tallying nine points and five rebounds. O'Connor recorded her fifth double-double with 10 points and 14 boards in 27 minutes of action.
- The Mules were led by Ainsley Burns and Keagan Dunbar who scored 16 and 12 points, respectively.
- Wesleyan returns to Silloway Gymnasium on Sunday, Feb. 16 as it hosts No. 5 Bowdoin on Senior Day.