BOSTON, Mass. – The Wesleyan women's basketball team defeated Suffolk in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon, 53-37. The Cardinals were led by Marina Petruzzi's 16 points as they improved to 10-7 overall. Jenni-Rose DiCecco was the lone Ram in double-figures as she led all players with 17 points, however, Suffolk dropped to 11-6 on the year.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan rallied after a sluggish start in the first quarter.
- Suffolk opened the game on a 9-0 run and held the Cardinals scoreless until the 3:11 mark following a basket from Ava Tompkins.
- The Rams would lead 13-5 after 10 minutes of play but the second quarter was a different story.
- This time, Wesleyan would open with a run as it scored the first 10 points to go-ahead 15-13.
- The Cardinals outscored Suffolk 19-4 in the second quarter to lead 24-17 at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Petruzzi hit a 3-pointer at the 7:58 mark and bookended a 12-1 run with a layup just over three minutes later as the visitors pulled ahead 36-22.
- Suffolk cut the deficit to single digits following a trey from DiCecco with under a minute remaining in the third, but Heidi Scarth scored on the other end with 26 seconds left as Wesleyan led 38-28 entering the fourth.
- The Rams got within eight with 9:20 remaining but it proved to be the closest they'd get the rest of the way.
- Wesleyan pulled away down the stretch, going on a 5-0 run to lead by 15 with 2:56 on the clock, essentially putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Katy O'Connor recorded a double-double for Wesleyan with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Tompkins hauled in a team-high 11 boards and Emma Roush grabbed 10. Caleigh Ryan led the team with five assists and two steals.
- Gabriella DeComo was the second-highest scorer for the Rams as she scored nine points. Alexis Hackett led all players with 15 rebounds and DiCecco recorded a game-high six steals.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Tuesday, January 28th as it heads to MIT for a non-conference matchup beginning at 7 pm.