Posted: Jan 19, 2020
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's basketball team (9-7, 1-3) outlasted Connecticut College on the road on Sunday to pick up a 66-58 victory over the Camels (5-10, 1-2).
- The hosts burst out to a 7-2 advantage capped by a three from Emily Tripp.
- The Cardinals chipped away at the deficit, cutting it to one (11-10) on a jumper by Maggie Lee,
- The Camels went on a 8-2 burst to extend the lead to 19-13 with 15 seconds remaining, but Wesleyan cut it to three (19-16) on a charity toss from Marina Petruzzi to end the first quarter.
- The teams went back-and-forth in the early minutes of the second stanza. The Cardinals took a 26-22 edge on a jumper by Caleigh Ryan with 3:15 remaining, but a 5-0 burst gave the Camels a 27-26 edged with 53 seconds to go in the half.
- A free throw by Wesleyan's Katy O'Connor knotted the game 27-27 heading into the break.
- Wesleyan scored the opening four points of the second half and never trailed for the remainder of the game.
- The Camels did not go away and came within two points on a pair of occasions, but the visitors always had an answer at the other end.
- Connecticut College cut the deficit to two (47-45) at the 9:26 mark of the final frame.
- The Cardinals responded with a 10-4 burst capped by a jumper from Ryan for the 57-49 advantage.
- Wesleyan slowly increased its lead, forcing the Camels to foul in the final minutes, but the Cardinals hung on for the win..
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Connor and Ava Tompkins each registered a double-double to lead the way for Wesleyan. O'Connor finished with 17 points and 14 boards, while Tompkins had 11 points and 13 rebounds to go along with two blocked shots.
- Ryan recorded 12 points for the Cardinals.
- The Cardinals outrebounded the Camels by a 49-37 margin and pulled down 19 offensive boards.
- Ashton paced Connecticut College with 25 points and six rebounds.
- Muckstadt had a strong all-around performance with eight points, eight rebounds, three blocked shots, and two steals.
- Claire Gulbin also reached twin figures with 14 points.
- The Cardinals are idle until Saturday, January 25th when they head to Suffolk for a 4:30 p.m. tip-off.