-- Recap courtesy of Bates' Athletic Communications --
LEWISTON, Maine – The Wesleyan women's basketball team lost to Bates on the road Sunday afternoon, 65-56.
The Cardinals are now 8-5 overall and 0-2 in the NESCAC while the Bobcats improved to 8-5 and 1-0 in league play.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan took an 8-7 lead with 3:02 left in the first quarter on an Emma Roush layup but Meghan Graff answered with a pair of free throws and Bates never trailed again.
- With the score at 14-13 in favor of the Bobcats, Graff found Julia Middlebrook on the right wing with time winding down and Middlebrook drained a three at the buzzer, giving the Bobcats a 17-13 lead through one quarter.
- The Bobcats opened up a nine-point lead in the second quarter on a Roy three with 2:53 remaining but Heidi Scarth went on a personal 6-0 run down the stretch, cutting the Bobcat advantage to 27-24 at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bates was hot to start the second half, going on a 9-0 run and taking a 36-24 lead on an Ariana Dalia three-point play with 7:16 left in the third quarter.
- The Cardinals cut the advantage to 36-29 on a three-point play from Caleigh Ryan.
- Up 39-29, the Bobcats saw their lead dwindle to three points on a Maddie Clark three with 2:50 to go in the third. Mia Roy responded with five points down the stretch and Bates led 44-37 through three quarters of action.
- For most of the fourth quarter, the Bobcats led by double digits, even going up by 21 points at 63-42 on a Middlebrook free throw with 2:08 left. A 14-2 run to close the game came too little too late for the Cardinals.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ryan led Wesleyan with 19 points on 7-12 shooting. She also grabbed a team-high five rebounds. Maddie Clark scored 13 points and Marina Petruzzi tallied 11 points, four rebounds and a game-high five steals.
- Graff scored a game-high 25 points while Roy added 14, Dalia dropped 11, and Taylor McVeigh grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Tuesday, January 14th as it plays at Amherst in a non-conference game which is scheduled to tip at 6 p.m.