MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Emma Roush scored a game-high 16 points on 4-of-6 shooting from behind-the-arc to help lead the Wesleyan women's basketball team to a 68-53 win over Emerson in the Championship Game of the Courtyard Tournament on Saturday.
Roush was named to the All-Tournament Team while Katy O'Connor was named the Tournament MVP as she scored 14 points, grabbed eight rebounds, and blocked two shots to help the Cardinals remain unbeaten at 5-0. Ashley Toner scored 16 points for the Lions as they dropped to 2-3.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing by three with just under four minutes to play in the first quarter, Sam Boyle hit one from downtown to even the score at 10-10.
- The Cardinals outscored the Lions 8-3 down the stretch as a layup by Heidi Scarth gave Wesleyan an 18-13 lead after one.
- With 5:28 remaining in the first half, Emerson regained a lead as Toner hit a 3-pointer.
- Just under two minutes later, the Lions extended their lead to six following a jumper by Quinn Madden, capping off a 13-2 run by the visitors.
- Wesleyan answered with a 9-0 run of its own but a 3-pointer by Madden with 10 seconds remaining evened the score at 29-29 at the half.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a different story in the second half.
- The Lions scored the first basket of the third quarter to take a lead, but Wesleyan responded with a 6-0 run and never looked back.
- In the closing minutes of the third, Roush hit back-to-back 3-pointers followed by a layup to give the home team a 49-38 advantage.
- Emerson answered with a 5-0 run but a basket by Marina Petruzzi with three seconds remaining gave Wesleyan a 51-43 lead entering the fourth.
- The Lions got within four following another trey from Toner with 6:47 to play. However, it proved to be the closest the visitors would get the rest of the way.
- The Cardinals answered with an 11-0 run capped off by a layup from Ava Tompkins at the 2:48 mark, giving Wesleyan a 15-point lead to essentially put the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Roush went 6-of-9 from the floor and O'Connor was 7-of-13. Caleigh Ryan led all players with 12 rebounds and five assists while also recording seven points, two steals, and two blocks. Petruzzi finished with 11 points and Maddie Clark totaled nine and a game-high four steals.
- Toner was joined in double-figures by Madden and Sam Boyle with 10 points each. Madden pulled in a team-high eight rebounds and Rachel Davey scored eight points, grabbed five boards, dished out five assists, recorded two steals and one block.
- Amina Wiley, Mitchell
- Jiyun Chae, Wellesley
- Rachel Davey, Emerson
- Ashley Toner, Emerson
- Emma Roush, Wesleyan
- Katy O'Connor, Wesleyan – Tournament MVP
- Wesleyan is back in action on Tuesday, November 26 as it hosts The City College of New York at 7 p.m.