TROY, N.Y. – Three players scored in double-figures as the Wesleyan University women's basketball team used a strong first half performance to cruise past Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Saturday afternoon at the RPI Tip-Off Tournament, 71-47. The Cardinals are now 2-0 on the season while the Panthers drop to 0-3.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out hot and a three-pointer by Vitale followed by a trey from Mathews put the Cardinals ahead 12-1 at the 5:38 mark.
- Emma Roush '21 capped off the first quarter with a pair of free throws to give Wesleyan a 22-9 lead after 10 minutes of action.
- The lead continued to grow as the Cardinals went on an 11-0 run to go ahead 41-17 with 2:22 left in the first half. They would go on to lead 41-18 at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half was a different story, with Wesleyan holding a slight 30-29 edge in the final 20 minutes of action.
- The Cardinals outscored ACPH in the third quarter 18-13 while the Panthers took the fourth quarter, 16-12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan shot 35.2% (25-71) from the floor and 20.0% (6-30) from three-point range.
- The Cardinals held a commanding 53-35 rebounding edge and scored 25 points off the Panthers' 21 turnovers. Wesleyan also outscored ACPH in fastbreak points, 14-0.
- Maddie Bledsoe '18 scored seven points, grabbed a team-high nine rebounds and dished out a game-high four assists alongside Vitale. Ava Tompkins '20 and Katy O'Connor '21 each scored seven points while O'Connor went a perfect 3-of-3 from the floor and 1-of-1 from the charity stripe.
- The Panthers shot 28.0% (14-50) from the floor and 27.3% (3-11) from downtown. They were led by Olivia Parmeter and Dannie Griffin with 14 and 11 points, respectively. Griffin also posted a team-high 15 rebounds.
- Wesleyan will face the 2017 National Champions and Little Three rivals Amherst on Tuesday, Nov. 21 on the road in non-conference action. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.