MINNEOLA, Fla. – The Wesleyan softball team (0-2) dropped it's first two games of the season to Westfield State 6-3, and Mount Union 4-0 on Wednesday morning.
WESTFIELD STATE (2-3) VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- Westfield State opened the scoring in the first when a single by Bri Tortora drove home Lindsay Cordopatri.
- The Cardinals responded in the bottom of the second when a single to center by Alyssa DaSilva brought home Sophia Sciarappa, before Courtney Collins-Pisano reached on a throwing error.
- Later, Lauren Gaffney-Gomez doubled to left center to bring home DaSilva for the 3-1 advantage.
- The Owls reclaimed the lead in the top of the fourth, scoring three runs to make it 4-3.
- Wesleyan threatened in the bottom of the fifth, when Gaffney-Gomez stole second, before reaching third, but the Cardinals were unable to knot the game.
- Westfield State secured the win at the top of the seventh when a single up the middle by Kaitlynn Prophet drove home Karly Mastello and Caitlin Hughes, making it 6-3.
WESTFIELD STATE VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Gaffney-Gomez went 2-2 with a double and an RBI.
- Danielle Rinaldi suffered the loss for the Cardinals allowing four runs over four innings of work.
- Torota went 2-3 with a double and an RBI, while Prophet had two RBI for the Owls.
- Emily Arrendondo picked up the win for Westfield State with three strikeouts over seven innings of work.
MOUNT UNION (5-4) VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Raiders got on the board first when a double to right field by Morgan Riley drove home Amber Hume for the 1-0 edge.
- In the bottom of the third, Mount Union's Allie Goldy doubled to drive in Maddie Pidgeon to make it 2-0.
- Wesleyan threatened in the fourth inning when Marina Williams walked and Rinaldi singled, but the Cardinals were unable to plate a run.
- Mount Union added a pair of unearned runs in the fifth to secure the 4-0 victory.
- In the sixth, Wesleyan again threatened with a single to left by Olivia Gorman and a walk by Brenna Monroe, but could not get on the board.
MOUNT UNION VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gaffney-Gomez suffered the loss allowing four runs (two earned) over five innings of work for the Cardinals.
- Alexandra Pasco tossed through a three-hit shutout for the Raiders, striking out 10.
- The Cardinals will play Bridgewater State on Thursday at 9:15 a.m., before taking on Smith at 11:30 a.m.