Score: Middlebury 7, Wesleyan 1
Records: Wesleyan (9-17, 0-6 NESCAC); Middlebury (16-8-1, 3-4 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Softball Field)
Date: Friday, April 21st
Time: 5 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University softball team fell to NESCAC foe Middlebury College 7-1 on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A double to left-center from Melanie Mandell would score Olivia Bravo, who had tripled to right, and give the Panthers an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first.
- Rielly Wieners '18 singled home Julie McDonald '18, from third to tie the game at one in the bottom of the first.
- Hye-Jin Kim gave the visitors a 3-0 lead in the fourth with a two-run single to right.
- Middlebury scored four runs in the sixth to give it a 7-1 advantage.
- Allison Quigley would hold the Cardinals scoreless the rest of the way as the Panthers would take game one of the series, 7-1.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Wieners led all players with three hits in the game while Jamie Hom '17 notched two. Kendall Carr '19, McDonald and Hayley Lipson '20 each had one hit in the game.
- Mandell and Freyre notched two hits a piece for Middlebury, while Kim knocked in three runs.
- The two teams will conclude their series with a double-header tomorrow, Saturday April 22nd. Game one is scheduled for 12 p.m. and game two will begin at approximately 2 p.m.