2017 SEASON OUTLOOK
The Wesleyan University softball team will open up its 2017 season in Florida where it will play 12 games as part of its annual Spring Break trip. The first games will be on Wednesday, March 15th as the Cardinals take on Western Conn. St. and the University of New England at 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., respectively. Wesleyan will return to action in the northeast on Wednesday, March 29th as it will host the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in a double-header, with game one beginning at 3 p.m. The Cardinals will play fourteen home contests, which will include four against Little Three rivals Williams and Amherst, and nine road games. Their schedule also features nine double-headers.
Head Coach Jen Lane, who is entering her 16th season, will welcome back nine players from last year's team, including captains Izzy Linzer '17 and Julie McDonald '18, along with six newcomers. Wesleyan has a balanced roster of youth and experience that will look to lead the team back to the NESCAC Tournament for the first time since the 2013 season.
MEET THE TEAM
- McDonald will be relied upon heavily on both the mound and at the plate. The lefty led the team with a .396 batting average and 20 RBIs, and went 9-5 on the mound with a 2.87 ERA and 73 strikeouts.
- Linzer, who was fourth on the Cardinals with a .349 batting average, was the team leader in stolen bases with seven. She is also just 17 hits shy of 100 for her career.
- Jamie Hom '17 is also looking to join the 100-hit club, as she is 28 hits shy of the mark. Hom and Christina Zaccardi '17 will return to the outfield for Wesleyan.
- Rielly Wieners '18, who along with McDonald earned Second Team All-NESCAC recognition last season, will be a key component for the Cardinals defense, which ranked second in the conference last season with a team fielding percentage of .962. The West Springfield, Mass. native, who saw time at first, third and behind the plate last season, completed the 2016 season with a fielding percentage of .994.
- Rachel Kantor '19 had an excellent freshman campaign as she was tops on the team with 11 doubles and was tied for the lead in RBIs with 20. She will make up the other half of the pitching staff and will play third when not on the mound.
- Sophomores Olivia Gorman, Sophia Raia and Estella Zeng bring valuable experience from the 2016 season into this year's campaign.
- Five freshmen will join this year's squad: Rachel Curran, Jenna Putala, Jo Jo Diaz, Hayley Lipson, and Erica Horowitz. Kendall Carr will also join the team as a sophomore.
HEAD COACH JEN LANE
"I'm excited to see what this group can accomplish this year. We graduated five starters from last year's squad, but the 2017 team has been working hard all year in preparation for the season and they are ready to compete."