WATERVILLE, Maine – The No. 6 Wesleyan men's tennis team competed at the 2019 ITA Regional Championships hosted by Colby College this weekend. The tournament was highlighted by a pair of singles semifinal appearances from Zach Fleischman and Noah Lilienthal, who each squared off against fellow NESCAC players.
"It was great to see all six of our participants competing at a really high level," stated head coach Mike Friend. "Fleischman and Lieb both had breakthrough tournament appearances, and their ability to join Lilienthal and compete among the best in the nation, is a huge boost of confidence for our team."
- Fleischman began with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Western New England's David Kalmer, before topping Bowdoin's Tristan Bradley 6-3, 7-6(3). Despite falling 3-6 in the first set of the quarterfinal round, Fleischman bounced back to top Tuft's Isaac Forelik 7-6(4), 7-6(4) in the second and third sets to advance. In the semifinals, Fleishman fell to Middlebury's Stan Morris (3-6, 2-6).
- Lilienthal started the weekend with 6-0, 6-4 and 6-1, 6-0 victories in the first two rounds, before topping Anupreeth Coramutla of Brandeis 7-6(4), 6-4 to advance to the quarterfinals. In the round of eight, he fell 6-7(7) in the first set to Robby Ward of Middlebury, before taking sets two and three 6-3 and 6-4, respectively, to advance. In a semifinal match, Lilienthal eased to a 6-2 first set victory over Tufts' Boris Sorkin, but it was all Sorkin after, as Lilienthal fell 5-7, 1-6 in the second and third sets. Sorkin went on to claim the singles title.
- Zach Lieb advanced to the quarterfinals with three decisive victories. In the first round he won 6-2, 6-4, before a 7-5, 6-2 triumph in the second round. In the round of 16, Lieb won 6-4, 6-1 over Tufts' Paris Pentousis, before his run fell short in the quarterfinals to Sorkin.
- Lilienthal and Princeton Carter advanced to the quarterfinal round in the tournament. They opened play cruising to an 8-2 victory over Nichols' duo Barbosa and Howard, before topping Coast Guard's Landins and Arora 8-5. The tandem saw their run fall short in a tiebreak during the quarterfinals, as Bowdoin's Bradley and Yang edged the duo 8-7(4).
- Peter Anker and Fleischman saw a tough first-round matchup against Tufts' duo Belandres and Sorkin, where they ultimately fell 8-7(3).
- The Cardinals are back in action on October 18th when they host the Wesleyan Invitational over a two-day span.