NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The 28th-ranked Wesleyan University men's squash team won the Conroy Cup (D Division) Consolation Finals at the 2019 CSA Men's National Team Championships on Sunday. The Cardinals went 2-1 at the tournament and defeated No. 30 Haverford, 8-1, in the consolation finals. Wesleyan also defeated No. 32 Stanford, 3-2, in the consolation semifinals on Saturday and lost to No. 29 Connecticut College on Friday in the quarterfinals, 5-4.
The Cardinals' 2018-19 team season has come to an end, while the CSA National Individual Championships will take place Friday, March 1 - Sunday, March 3 in Providence, R.I. Wesleyan concluded the year strong and after a 2-12 start, the Cardinals went 6-1 in their final seven matches.
- In the quarterfinals on Friday, Wesleyan was edged by the Camels, 5-4. It was the third meeting between the two teams with Conn. College winning two of those matchups.
- Sean Choi and Yahya Ladiwala won in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, respectively. Choi won in four sets and Ladiwala swept Billy Fleurima.
- Wesleyan also picked up wins from Peter DeLalio and Scott Ji. DeLalio swept the No. 7 position and Ji rallied from a 2-1 deficit to win a thrilling five-set match in the No. 9 spot.
- The following day, the Cardinals rallied in the consolation bracket with a commanding 8-1 victory over Stanford. Wesleyan won the No. 2 through No. 9 positions with five sweeps, two four-set matches, and one in five sets.
- Ladiwala, DeLalio and Ji all picked up wins for the second day in a row.
- It was a similar story on Sunday as the Cardinals cruised to an 8-1 win against Haverford in the finals of the consolation bracket.
- Choi and Ladiwala claimed 3-0 sweeps in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively.
- Wesleyan also won the No. 4 through No. 9 spots with three sweeps, two four-set matches and one in five.
- Ladiwala, DeLalio and Ji won all three matches they competed in at the tournament.