AMHERST, Mass. – The Wesleyan men's soccer team suffered a 2-0 setback at No. 2 Amherst on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinals fall to 1-2-3 in conference play with a 4-2-3 overall mark, while the Mammoths (8-0-2, 4-0-2) continue their unbeaten streak.
- Wesleyan's Lucas Kimball looked to get the visitors on the board at the 26:52 mark, but his one-timer was denied by Amherst goalkeeper Bernie White.
- German Giammatei converted a Mammoth penalty kick at the 40:50 mark to give the hosts a 1-0 edge.
- The Cardinals looked for the equalizer at the 53:06 mark, but Mason Davisson's shot towards the bottom right was thwarted by White.
- Amherst doubled its lead just 26 seconds later when Giammattei went one-on-one with Wesleyan goalkeeper Liam Devanny, before chipping the ball over his head for the 2-0 advantage.
- The Cardinals' best chance to cut the deficit came at the 76:05 mark, but Ben Tardiff's shot was deflected by an Amherst defender, sailing just high of the goal as the Mammoths held on for the shutout.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Devanny suffered the loss in net, making seven saves for Wesleyan.
- White made two stops for Amherst.
- The Cardinals head to Coast Guard on Tuesday for a 4:00 p.m. start, before hosting Bates on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.