Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wesleyan Battles Top-Ranked Tufts to 1-1 Draw

Photo Courtesy of Bre Cavanaugh '19
Photo Courtesy of Bre Cavanaugh '19

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan men's soccer team (4-1-3, 1-1-3) tied top-ranked Tufts 1-1 in the team's 75th meeting on Wednesday evening. With the draw, the Cardinals snap the Jumbos (7-0-1, 3-0-1) seven-game win streak.

"I was very happy with how we responded to going down a goal," expressed head coach Geoff Wheeler. "Both teams played really well, and both had quality opportunities. To be able to tie the top-ranked team in the country shows that we are continuing to improve each week, and I am excited to see what we do this coming weekend."


  • Wesleyan had a great chance to tally a goal at the 12:35 mark when Trevor Devanny redirected a throw-in by Alec Haas, but his header attempt was thwarted by Tufts' goalkeeper Will Harned.
  • The Jumbos looked to get on the board with 20:56 expired when Brett Rojas rifled a shot from the top of the 18, but Wesleyan goalie Liam Devanny denied the opportunity.
  • Tufts broke the scoreless draw at the 39:50 mark. Devanny got a piece of Max Jacobs' initial header shot, but the ball hit the crossbar and ricocheted back into play, before Derek Enge used his head to one-time the rebound into the back of the net for the 1-0 edge.
  • Out of the intermission, Wesleyan's Mike Gallo had a good chance to knot the game at the 52:55 mark when he one-timed a cross from Haas, but his shot sailed high.
  • The Cardinals netted the equalizer with 61:52 expired. A Jumbo defender headed away Cameron Park's corner kick, but Wallick one-timed the rebound into the bottom right to make it 1-1.
  • Park looked to put Wesleyan on top at the 71:05 mark when he rocketed a shot from outside the 18, but the shot went just wide left.
  • During the first overtime stanza, the Cardinals had the best opportunity to end the game. Tucker Kelsch beat a Jumbo defender at the left corner flag, before sending a cross to Gallo, but Gallo's one-timer was blocked by a Tufts defender.
  • The Jumbos had a quality chance to score in the second overtime session, but Devanny stopped Zach Seigelstein's shot.
  • After a Wesleyan corner kick at the 108:41 mark, the Cardinals had three-straight shots, but the Tufts' defenders blocked all three as the teams ended in a 1-1 draw.


  • Devanny made five saves in goal for Wesleyan, while Harned had three stops for the Jumbos.


  • The Cardinals travel to No. 2 Amherst on Saturday for a 12:30 p.m. kickoff.