Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Cardinals Edge Mules 1-0

Haas scored the lone-Cardinal goal and second tally of the week (Steve McLaughlin).
Haas scored the lone-Cardinal goal and second tally of the week (Steve McLaughlin).

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan men's soccer team (3-1-2, 1-1-2) edged Colby 1-0 on Sunday afternoon to earn its first conference victory of the year. Senior Alec Haas scored with 48:13 expired to tally his second goal of the week, while the Cardinals held a 17-6 advantage in shots during the victory over the Mules (4-3-0, 1-3-0).

"I am really proud of the team's performance today," stated head coach Geoff Wheeler. "They fought hard in back-to-back conference games this weekend, through really hot weather. Our resilience was rewarded with a victory today, which is a testament to every single player on our roster. The first NESCAC victory is always the hardest, and I want to give credit to our opponents who gave us a hard-fought battle. After a challenging weekend, I am looking forward to having a whole week to recover and improve."


  • The Cardinals had a great chance to get on the board with 5:43 expired, but Lucas Kimball's header attempt from Haas' throw-in sailed just high.
  • Colby threatened at the 12:03 mark, but Ethan Fabricant's shot went just wide left.
  • With 16 seconds remaining in the first half, Wesleyan's Medhi El Filali rifled a shot towards the goal, but the ball went just over the crossbar as the teams headed into the break knotted 0-0.
  • The Cardinals wasted little time out of the break, scoring the game-winner at the 48:13 mark after Sam Keenan sent a ball from midfield into the box. Haas settled the service and beat a defender, before burying the ball in the bottom right corner for the 1-0 edge.
  • Fabricant had a breakaway opportunity for the Mules during the 60th minute, but Wesleyan goaltender Liam Devanny came charging off his line to deny Fabricant a shot.
  • Colby had its best chance for the equalizer after being rewarded a free kick on a Wesleyan yellow card during the 87th minute. The Mules tried to surprise the Cardinals with a succession of three quick passes, but by the time Ryan Seaman was able to get a shot off, Haas was there to thwart the chance.  
  • Desperate to knot the game and send it into overtime, Colby's Sam Wilson took a hurried shot with 48 seconds remaining, but the ball went just wide right as the Cardinals hung on for the 1-0 victory.


  • Devanny was forced to make just one save to earn his fifth shutout of the year, while Matt Morin made four saves in goal for Colby.


  • Wesleyan is idle until next Sunday when they host Clark at noon.