Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Soccer Finishes in Scoreless Draw at Bowdoin

Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin
Photo Courtesy of Steve McLaughlin

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Wesleyan men's soccer team (2-1-2, 0-1-2) battled Bowdoin for 110 minutes as the teams finished in a scoreless draw on Saturday afternoon. The tie was the second for the Cardinals and third for the Polar Bears (2-1-3, 0-1-3) in conference action this year. 


  • Wesleyan had a great opportunity to tally a goal at the 9:26 mark after Jack Wolf made a move around a Bowdoin defender at the top of the 18. Wolf rifled a shot towards the upper right corner, but Polar Bear goalkeeper Michael Webber dove to his left, just getting a hand on the ball to punch it away.
  • The Cardinals threatened again with 28:20 expired when Lucas Kimball headed a cross by Steven Perchuk, but the attempt was denied by Webber, keeping the contest scoreless.
  • Bowdoin's Ian Strudwick had a great chance to get the hosts on the board at the 29:35 mark after a breakaway. Wesleyan's goaltender Liam Devanny came charging off his line to challenge Strudwick one-on-one. Both players made contact with the ball, as it slipped past Devanny, but the ball hit the left post and ricocheted out of bounds.  
  • Neither team had a quality chance to break open the game in the second half, as time expired and the contest was forced into extra sessions.
  • Bowdoin had a chance to end the contest 2:21 into the first overtime session when Julian Juantorena redirected a corner by Brian Bae, but Devanny thwarted the header opportunity.
  • The Polar Bears looked to take advantage of a free kick during the 106th minute, but the kick was punched away by Devanny, before Alex Chaban's one-timer hit the crossbar, recoiling up and over the goal.


  • Devanny was forced to make just two saves to earn his fourth shutout, while Webber made five stops in the contest.
  • Wesleyan held a 10-7 advantage in shots and an 8-5 edge in corner kicks.


  • The Cardinals have a quick turnaround, as they return to Middletown, Conn. to host Colby at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.