Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Jackson of Men’s Soccer Notches Second Goal of Season in 4-1 Loss at No. 15 Amherst

Photo by Lianne Yun '18
Photo by Lianne Yun '18

AMHERST, Mass. – Senior captain Nick Jackson recorded his third career goal for the Wesleyan University men's soccer team during a 4-1 loss against No. 15 Amherst on Saturday afternoon in Amherst, Mass.


  • Freshman Sebastian Derby led the way for the Mammoths (9-2-2, 5-2-2 NESCAC) with a pair of goals in a span of 31 seconds. He found the back of the net in the eighth minute assisted by freshman Felix Wu, as the play originated with a 50-yard throw-in. Derby then sent a shot from 25 yards out on a 2-on-1 break into the back of the net off the inside of the post, assisted by senior Weller Hlinomaz.
  • Sophomore forward Alec Haas nearly put the Cardinals up 1-0 in the third minute, as he took a shot from 25 yards out on an empty net, but the drive went just wide. Freshman midfielder Lucas Kimball tried to put the Cardinals on the board in the 36th minute, but Mammoths freshman goalkeeper Kofi Hope-Gund (5-0-2) stood in the way.
  • Jackson, who opened the scoring with a header goal during a 4-2 triumph over visiting Bates on Sept. 23, sent a drive into the back of the net during the 38th minute for the Cardinals (6-6-2, 1-6-2 NESCAC) off a throw-in by freshman defender Sam Serxner. The Vienna, Va. native also recorded the game-winning marker during a 1-0 win against eventual-national champion Tufts on Sept. 27, 2016.
  • Amherst earned a crucial goal with 24 seconds remaining in the first half, thanks to junior Fikayo Ajayi, who tallied his third goal of the year, giving the hosts a two-goal cushion heading into the halftime break. Once again, the play originated off a throw-in, as the Cardinals cleared the ball to the top of the box, but then Ajayi sent a drive just inside the post.
  • In the 54th minute, Jackson was awarded a penalty kick immediately after senior midfielder Garrett Hardesty was taken down in the box. Jackson's attempt went wide of the net and the Mammoths maintained their two-goal cushion.
  • Senior Aidan Murray put a dent in the Cardinals' hope for a comeback, finding the back of the net in the 74th minute for the first time this season, assisted by senior Aziz Khan. The Cardinals kept up the pressure in the final 10 minutes, with Serxner and Haas putting shots on target in the 82nd and 85th minutes, respectively, but Hope-Gund was able to corrall both.


  • Senior goalkeeper Brian Harnett (4-6-2) tallied a game-high seven saves, while Hope-Gund (5-0-2) posted three.
  • Amherst compiled 23 shots and Wesleyan attempted eight, as the hosts held an 11-4 edge in shots on goal. Hlinomaz registered a game-best four shots, and Derby and Khan each attempted three shots. Jackson and Haas finished with two shots, respectively, for the visitors.
  • During the physical game, Amherst was ticketed with 22 fouls and Wesleyan was whistled 18 times, with each team receiving one yellow-card booking. The Cardinals held a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks.
  • Wesleyan's last win against Amherst came during its magical 2015 postseason run, as the eighth-seeded Cardinals upsetted top-seeded Amherst, 1-0, in the quarterfinals of the NESCAC Tournament.


  • The Cardinals will look to conclude their 2017 regular season with a win against Connecticut College on Wednesday (3 p.m.) in New London, Conn.