Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Soccer Battles to 0-0 Draw with Colby

Photo by Lianne Yun '18
Photo by Lianne Yun '18

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Points within the NESCAC Conference are always difficult to come by, so sometimes teams need to settle for one in a game.

That was the scenario on Saturday afternoon, as the Wesleyan University men's soccer team battled to a 0-0 draw after 110 minutes of action with Colby at Jackson Field in Middletown, Conn.


  • This was Wesleyan's first 0-0 tie in a regular-season contest since Sept. 29, 2015, against visiting Tufts. The Cardinals (5-3-1, 1-3-1 NESCAC), who hold an 18-1-1 all-time record against Colby, had a tremendous opportunity in the 11th minute, as senior captain Nick Jackson headed a ball to senior Adam Cowie-Haskell in the middle of the box, but the forward's shot connected with the crossbar.
  • Freshman forward James Schubauer nearly broke the tie in the 25th minute with a drive from the right edge of the box, but the shot went just wide left of the net.
  • Senior goalkeeper Brian Harnett came up with a crucial stop in the 30th minute, deflecting a shot toward the bottom left corner of the goal off the foot of junior Kyle Douglas. The Montclair, N.J. native, who posted a career-high 16 saves during a 2-1 overtime loss at Hamilton on Sept. 30, was called upon again in the 77th minute. Freshman Jack Fletcher gained possession from straight on at the edge of the box and unloaded a shot, but Harnett made a quick read and dove to stop the attempt.
  • Wesleyan made some noise at the end of regulation, with sophomore Jack Wolf's shot being denied by Mules sophomore goalkeeper Avery Gibson in the 87th minute. Freshman midfielder Mauricio Bailleres, who tallied the game winner and his first collegiate goal during a 4-2 win over visiting Bates on Sept. 23, connected on a shot with a great deal of velocity from distance during the 89th minute, as the shot went soaring a couple feet over the bar.


  • Gibson tallied a game-best seven saves, and Harnett (4-3-1) finished with three during his second shutout of the season.
  • Wesleyan held a commanding 9-3 advantage in shots during the second half and a 4-0 lead in the second extra session, while leading the shots category, 22-14, for the entire game.
  • Freshman midfielder Lucas Kimball led the way with three shots for the hosts, and Colby received three-shot performances from Douglas, and juniors Garrett Dickey and Lucas Pereira.
  • Wesleyan committed 17 fouls and Colby was whistled 15 times, while the hosts attempted eight corner kicks and the visitors were awarded six.


  • The Cardinals will compete against Middlebury on Sunday (2:30 p.m.) at Jackson Field in Middletown, Conn. The team will then hit the road on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. matchup at Trinity (Conn.).