Score: Wesleyan 1, WNEU 0 (OT)
Records: Wesleyan: 3-1-1 (0-1-0 NESCAC), WNEU: 3-5-0 (2-0-0 CCC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Jackson Field)
Date: Wednesday, September 21st
Time: 4 p.m.
The Lead: After two scoreless halves, freshman Alec Haas of the Wesleyan University men's soccer team found the back of the net just 57 seconds into overtime as the Cardinals defeated non-conference foe Western New England University Wednesday evening, 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first half was a very even contest. Both teams recorded eight shots and four on goal.
- The next 45 minutes were a different story, as Wesleyan controlled the tempo for the majority of play and kept the ball in the Golden Bear's side of the field.
- Despite controlling the ball for most of the second half, the Cardinals only recorded two shots on goal (nine total).
- Neither team could find the back of the net in regulation as they entered overtime knotted at 0-0.
- Less than a minute into OT, Haas took a shot from the right of the box to the back left corner past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Kevin Strobel for the game-winner at 90:57.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan recorded 18 shots and six on goal, while the Golden Bears recorded 12 total and five on net.
- The Cardinals held a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Adam Cowie-Haskell '17 led Wesleyan with two shots on goal, and Troy Remillard posted four for the visitors.
- The Cardinals are now 6-4-2 all-time against their non-conference opponent.
- Wesleyan returns to action Saturday, September 24th when they travel to Bates for a NESCAC contest. The game is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.
- The Golden Bears will host Gordon Saturday at 12 p.m.