FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The No. 7 Wesleyan men's lacrosse team defeated SUNY Cortland in a neutral site contest on Friday night in Florida, 13-5. It was a rematch of last year's NCAA Championship Second Round matchup.
Colin Uyeki led the Cardinals with four goals and one assist as they improved to 6-1 overall. The Red Dragons fell to 4-3 following the loss.
- Wesleyan was led by Uyeki and Ronan Jacoby, as Jacoby added three goals and three ground balls. Carter Hawthorne scored twice and assisted on another, Scott Irwin recorded two points (1g, 1a) and Corey Aviles assisted on two scores.
- The Cardinals also received one goal each from Christian Barker, Tom Martello, Zander Kotsen and Jake Sexton.
- In goal, Otto Bohan made 10 saves to improve to 6-1.
- Cortland scored the first goal of the game but the Cardinals responded with back-to-back scores from Barker (12:30) and Uyeki (10:27).
- With 4:46 remaining in the first quarter, Cortland evened the score at 2-2 but Sexton found the back of the net 30 seconds later and Wesleyan led 3-2 entering the second quarter.
- The Cardinals opened the second on a 2-0 run to extend their lead to three. After a goal by Cortland at the 2:45 mark, Uyeki scored with 45 seconds to go as Wesleyan held a 6-3 halftime lead.
- The Cardinals came out strong to start the third quarter, going on a 5-0 run to take a commanding 11-3 advantage. They outscored the Red Dragon 6-1 in the third.
- Both teams scored a goal each in the fourth quarter as Wesleyan won, 13-5.
- Wesleyan is back in action next Saturday, March 30 and will host Colby at 1 p.m.