MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – With the first goal of the game, Carter Hawthorne reached the 100-goal milestone as the seventh-ranked Wesleyan men's lacrosse team edged No. 19 Lynchburg, 8-7, in the Mustang Classic hosted by Stevenson.
Hawthorne led the team with three points (2g, 1a) and Ronan Jacoby added two goals as the Cardinals improved to 5-1 overall. The Hornets were led by Colin Dean, who registered a game-high five points (3g, 2a), as they fell to 4-4 on the year.
- Hawthorne scored the lone goal of the first quarter as he put Wesleyan ahead 1-0 at the 9:23 mark, unassisted.
- The second quarter featured a total of five goals as the teams exchanged goals.
- Colin Uyeki scored at the 10:44 mark to extend the lead to 2-0. After some back-and-forth action, Trammel Robinson found the back of the net with 1:00 remaining in the half to cut the deficit to one, 3-2. However, a goal by Jacoby with :08 on the clock gave Wesleyan a 4-2 halftime lead.
- It took just 59 seconds for the Cardinals to score in the third quarter as Corey Aviles put Wesleyan ahead by three, 5-2.
- The Hornets would respond with a 3-0 run capped off by a score from Dean at the 9:12 mark to even the score at 5-5.
- Less than two minutes later, Jake Sexton put the Cardinals back on top with an unassisted score, and Wesleyan would eventually lead 6-5 entering the fourth.
- After some more back-and-forth action, Dean tied the game at 8-8 with 4:58 remaining.
- Hawthorne eventually scored the game-winner with 2:05 on the clock as the Cardinals won by one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Zach Zavalick was 10-15 on faceoffs and pulled in a game-high eight ground balls. Colin Malarchuk led Wesleyan's defense with two caused turnovers and goalie Otto Bohan made 10 saves.
- Kevin Rogers joined Dean in double-digit scoring as he totaled two goals and one assist for Lynchburg. Seamus McDonald and Craig Koester each tallied five ground balls, and Patrick Cornelius made six stops in net.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Friday, March 22 for a neutral site contest in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. against SUNY Cortland. The game time is to be determined.