MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Carter Hawthorne, Zander Kotsen and Ronan Jacoby each scored three goals Wednesday night to help lead the seventh-ranked Wesleyan men's lacrosse team to a 13-6 win over Clark in non-conference action on Citrin Field.
Hawthorne also dished out two assists to lead all players in points (5), while Kotsen and Jacoby added an assist each as the Cardinals improved to 3-1. Brandon King and Chris Rasco led Clark with two goals each as the Cougars dropped to 1-4.
- The game went back-and-forth early.
- Hawthorne scored the first goal of the game at the 10:44 mark off a wrap-around assisted from Colin Uyeki, but Clark won the ensuing faceoff as Mark Zito dished it off to King for a score just nine seconds later.
- With 9:20 to play in the first quarter, Jacoby juked a defender and sent a shot inside the left panel to regain a lead, which the Cardinals held the rest of the game.
- Another goal at 8:37 by Kotsen put Wesleyan up by two. The teams would exchange goals the rest of the quarter as the Cardinals led 4-3 after one.
- It was all Wesleyan in the second as the home team outscored the Cougars 5-0 with goals from four different players.
- Jacoby scored twice in the quarter including one with six seconds to play in the half as the Cardinals led 9-3 at the break.
- Wesleyan extended its lead with another strong performance in the third, outscoring Clark 4-1 to go ahead 13-4 entering the fourth, essentially putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan was a perfect 29-29 on clears and outshot Clark 45-34.
- Sean Penney led the Cardinals with six ground balls, while Uyeki added five including two goals and one assist. Thomas Clejan led the defensive efforts with three caused turnovers and Otto Bohan made eight stops in 46 minutes between the posts.
- Bobby Philbin recorded six groundballs for the Cougars, while Dan Turgeon and Timothy Hally each caused three turnovers. Three different goalies saw action in net, with Nathan Maselek earning the starting nod. He made 15 saves in 30 minutes but allowed nine goals.
- The Cardinals begin their spring break trip on Friday, March 15 with a NESCAC matchup against Middlebury in the Mustang Classic hosted by Stevenson. The game is scheduled to start at 11:30 am. The following day, Wesleyan will play No. 19 Lynchburg at 6:15 p.m.