MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Walker Harris tallied another goal on Saturday afternoon but the Wesleyan University men's hockey team was edged by in-state NESCAC rival, No. 7 Trinity, 3-1.
With the loss, the Cardinals conclude the regular season with a 12-11-1 overall record and 8-9-1 NESCAC mark. They await their seeding in the conference tournament with the quarterfinals set for next Saturday, February 29 at the higher seed. The Bantams improve to 17-6-1 and 12-5-1.
Prior to the game, the Cardinals honored their eight seniors – Spencer Fox, Quincy Gregg, Harris, Matt Huston, Tyler Kobryn, Tim Sestak, Hunter Vannier, and Tyler Wyatt. The Class of 2020 is the winningest class in program history.
- It took just under three minutes of action for the Bantams to get on the board. Adam Anderson, from behind the goal, wrapped around and found Nicholas Polsinelli who fired one into the bottom right corner. Andrew Troy was also credited with an assist on the play.
- Neither team was able to find the back of the net the rest of the period as Trinity held a 1-0 lead heading into the second.
- After some more competitive play in the second frame, the Bantams found the back of the net with just 36 seconds remaining in the period. Riley Prattson sent a pass from the right side to the top of crease as Dylan Healey tipped it in.
- The Cardinals entered the third on a power play and took advantage of their opportunity as Spencer Fox sent a shot on target that was redirected by Walker Harris into the back of the net. It took just one-minute and three-seconds into the period for Wesleyan to cut the deficit to one.
- Wesleyan had two excellent chances in the closing minutes to even the score but Trinity goalie Jonah Capriotti protected the lead and Lucas Michaud sealed the victory with an empty netter with just seven seconds remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sestak stopped 28 shots in 58:30 minutes.
- Capriotti made 25 saves for Trinity.
- The Bantams held a 31-26 edge in shots on goal but went 0-for-2 on power plays. The Cardinals were 1-for-4.