Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Big Third Period Propels Cardinals Past Camels, 6-3

Andy Espinoza scored once and tallied an assist during Friday's game (Lianne Yun '18)
Andy Espinoza scored once and tallied an assist during Friday's game (Lianne Yun '18)

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Knotted at 3-3 with 15:51 remaining in the third period, the Wesleyan men's hockey team scored three unanswered goals to triumph 6-3 over Connecticut College (4-10-1, 0-8-1) on Friday evening. With the victory, the Cardinals improve to 8-4-2, and remain the only unbeaten team in NESCAC play with a 7-0-2 conference mark.


  • Wesleyan came out strong, scoring 2:46 into the game when Hunter Vannier blasted a shot from the right faceoff circle to make it 1-0.
  • Connecticut College looked to knot the game at the 3:13 mark of the first, but Cardinal goaltender Tim Sestak used his right blocker to thwart Matt Creamer's chance.
  • The Camels found the equalizer with 7:28 expired after Brett Stirling sent a pass to Kyle Shero on the left post. Shero grabbed the puck out of the air before placing it at his skates. The first shot by Shero was denied by Sestak, but he persisted and found the back of the goal, making it 1-1.
  • Cardinal Mike Yablong looked to score just nine seconds later, but his shot hit the pipe and careened away.
  • With 15:49 expired in the first, Wesleyan made it a 2-1 game. Chad Malinowski intercepted a pass in transition, before Tyler Levine found the back of the net from the high slot.
  • The Cardinals increased their lead during a power play at the 8:22 mark of the second frame after Tyler Kobryn sent a pass from behind the net to Andy Espinoza on the left post. Espinoza one-timed the pass into the net for the 3-1 lead.
  • Connecticut College responded with 17:10 expired when Jacob Moreau tucked the puck under the crossbar, cutting the deficit to 3-2.
  • The Camels knotted the game 4:09 into the third on a power play when Anthony Quatieri collected a loose puck in the slot, before sneaking between Sestak and the far post to make it 3-3.
  • Wesleyan answered at the 11:57 mark when Walker Harris found the back of the net for the 4-3 edge.
  • A penalty on the Cardinals with 14:44 expired gave Connecticut College an opportunity to tie the game, but a strong Wesleyan defense was able to kill the penalty.
  • The hosts tacked on two empty-net goals in the final 1:02. Spencer Fox found the back of the net, before Jordan Rose tacked on another tally, extending the final score to 6-3.  


  • Sestak made 25 stops during 47:22 to pick up the win, while Matteo Esposito saved all nine shots faced during 12:32 of play.
  • Connor Rodericks recorded 22 saves in goal for the Camels.
  • Connecticut College held a 37-28 advantage in shots during the contest.


  • The Cardinals will entertain Tufts on Saturday at 3:00 p.m., before hosting Post on Tuesday at 8:00 p.m.