WATERVILLE, Maine – Gabe Ravetz hit a deep three-pointer with 35 seconds remaining to even the score at 82-82, but Wallace Tucker of No. 12 Colby drilled the game-winner with :04 on the clock as the Wesleyan men's basketball team lost a heartbreaker on the road Friday night, 85-82.
Sam Peek recorded a double-double with game-highs of 25 points and 10 rebounds while going 9-of-12 from the floor and 7-of-8 from deep. The sophomore guard was a perfect 6-of-6 from behind-the-arc in the first half but the Cardinals dropped to 13-10 overall and 2-7 in the NESCAC. Tucker finished with 15 points off the bench for the Mules but Matt Hanna led the way with 20 points as Colby improved to 21-2 and 8-2.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out strong with a 15-3 run in just over three minutes of action.
- The Cardinals would go on to lead the entire first half.
- Colby slowly cut into the deficit and a trey by Noah Tyson at the 9:37 mark got the home team within four, 28-24.
- Back-to-back 3-pointers by Peek extended Wesleyan's lead back to double-digits with 5:26 remaining in the half as the Cardinals led 41-31.
- The visitors would enter halftime with a 49-43 lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Will King hit consecutive treys for Colby early in the second half to cut the deficit to two, 53-51.
- The game would go back-and-forth often but at the 7:24 mark, Alex Dorion evened the score at 66-66 as he hit one from downtown.
- With 2:02 remaining, another 3-pointer by King gave the Mules their first lead of the game as they went up 76-75.
- Shortly after, Peek and Tucker exchanged three's as Wesleyan trailed 82-78 with 47 seconds to go.
- Antone Walker went to the line for the Cardinals on the next possession and hit his first free throw before missing the second, but Preston Maccoux grabbed the rebound and dished it out to Ravetz for the deep trey, tying the game at 82-82 with 35 seconds left.
- Colby held on for the last shot and Tucker buried one from deep.
- Walker heaved up a desperation shot as time expired but it was no good as the Mules held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Peek was joined in double-figures by Walker and Jordan James. Walker finished with 16 points, eight rebounds, and five assists while James dropped 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting.
- Five players scored in double-figures for Colby. In addition to Hanna and Tucker, Dorion finished with 18, King dropped 17, and Tyson scored 11. Dorion and Tyson each grabbed six rebounds, King dished out eight assists, and Hanna recorded four steals.
- Wesleyan shot 47.8% (11-23) from deep while the Mules shot 40.0% (18-45) from 3-point range. The Cardinals also held a 40-30 rebound advantage.
- Wesleyan wraps up the regular season on Sunday, Feb. 16 against Bowdoin on the road. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.