CLINTON, N.Y. – Four players scored in double-figures but the Wesleyan men's basketball team was defeated by Hamilton on the road Sunday afternoon, 78-67.
Antone Walker led the Cardinals with 21 points as they fall to 13-7 overall and 2-4 in the NESCAC. The Continentals were led by Kena Gilmour's team-high 16 points as they improved to 14-6 and 2-4.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Hamilton jumped out to a 7-0 lead and extended its run to 12-2 at the 15:10 mark, and they never looked back.
- The rest of the half featured back-and-forth action until the Continentals hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the closing minutes to go ahead 34-19 with 2:39 remaining.
- Gabe Ravetz hit a trey at the 1:52 mark to get within 12.
- Neither team would score the rest of the half as the home team held a 34-22 halftime advantage.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan got within seven several times early in the second quarter and with 11:45 to play, Gabe Millstein hit one from behind-the-arc to cut the deficit to six, 46-40.
- However, Hamilton answered with a 10-0 run of its own capped off by a 3-pointer from Elliott Tirbaso at the 9:12 mark.
- The Continentals would lead by double-digits for the next eight minutes until a pair of free throws by Walker pulled Wesleyan within nine.
- The deficit proved to be too much, however, and Hamilton would secure the win at the line.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Walker was joined in double-figures by Ravetz (14), Jordan James (14), and Shackylle Dezonie (11). Preston Maccoux and Ravetz led the team with six rebounds each and Maccoux dished out a team-high three assists.
- Patrick Mogan and Tirbaso scored 14 and 13 points off the bench for Hamilton, respectively. Eric Anderson led all players with seven rebounds and Sayo Denloye dished out a game-high six assists.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Friday, Feb. 7 and will host Little Three archrival Williams at 7:30 p.m.