MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – A strong second half performance by the Wesleyan men's basketball team helped propel the Cardinals to a 65-47 win over non-conference foe Farmingdale State on Saturday afternoon in the team's final home game of 2019.
Wesleyan outscored the Rams 34-20 in the final 20 minutes of play as it improved to 5-2 overall. Sam Peek led the way with a game-high 16 points while also grabbing eight boards. Farmingdale State falls to 3-6 following the loss.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out strong to open the game and jumped out to a 17-2 run in the first nine minutes of action.
- Farmingdale State was held scoreless for eight minutes.
- However, the Rams responded with a run of their own as they outscored the Cardinals 19-7 over the next six minutes. A 3-pointer from Dominique Senat cut the deficit to three with 5:12 to play.
- Four minutes later, Ryan Kennedy hit one from behind-the-arc to get the visitors within two but Antone Walker answered with a three of his own.
- Wesleyan led 31-27 at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a slow start for both offenses early in the second half.
- With 12:15 to play in regulation, Gabe Ravetz drove and dished to Peek who threw down a one-handed dunk over a defender, while getting fouled on the play. Peek converted the three-point play and seconds later, Shackylle Dezonie made an excellent pass to David Dixon for an easy uncontested layup to cap off a 12-0 run by the home team.
- The Cardinals grabbed their largest lead of the game at the 5:30 mark as Dezonie hit a layup to give Wesleyan a 59-39 advantage.
- Farmingdale State went on an 8-0 run to get within 12 with 2:22 remaining but the deficit proved to be too much and the Rams were held scoreless the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan outscored the Rams 38-18 in the paint and scored 29 points off turnovers compared to 13 for Farmingdale State.
- Peek scored 16 points off 7-of-11 shooting. He was the lone Cardinal in double-digits while Dezonie and Kevin McDonald dropped nine and Preston Maccoux scored eight. Dezonie led all players with 10 rebounds and three steals as well, while Jordan James blocked four shots and Dixon rejected three.
- Kennedy and Corey Powell scored 11 points each to lead Farmingdale State. Senat scored seven and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds, and Chaz Platt led all players with three assists.
- Wesleyan returns to action on Tuesday, Dec. 17 as it competes in the Hoospmia Shootout in Miami, Fla. The Cardinals will play Alvernia at 8 p.m. on Tuesday and will face Gwynedd Mercy on Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 6 p.m.