AMHERST, Mass. – Jordan Bonner dropped a game-high 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds but the Wesleyan University men's basketball team dropped a Little Three thriller on Tuesday night against No. 19 Amherst College, 61-60.
The Cardinals had the ball down one with 11 seconds to play, but were unable to get off a good look as their seven-game win streak against the Mammoths came to an end. The game did not count towards the NESCAC standings as Wesleyan dropped to 15-7 overall. Amherst is now 18-3 on the season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The first half featured 10 lead changes and four ties.
- Joe DeLollo scored the first basket of the game for the Cardinals, but Amherst responded and took a 13-8 lead six minutes into the game.
- Trailing by five, a layup by Jordan James jumpstarted a 14-0 Wesleyan run in just under four minutes, as Austin Hutcherson hit one from 3-point range at the 10:10 mark to give the visitor's a 19-13 lead.
- However, the Mammoths answered with another run and scored 12 unanswered as Devonn Allen capped off the stretch with a layup to extend Amherst's lead to six, up 25-19.
- With 5:48 remaining in the half, the six-point margin proved to be the largest the rest of the way.
- In the final minutes, the game went back-and-forth often until a jumper by Hutcherson with 40 seconds to play gave Wesleyan a 34-32 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story early in the second half.
- Bonner started things off with a 3-pointer just 18 seconds into the half but a trey by Eric Sellew just over two minutes later tied the game at 39, and a 3-pointer by Allen at the 15:08 mark gave the home team a 42-41 advantage.
- The Cardinals regained the lead briefly as Gabe Ravetz knocked down a 3-pointer seconds later, but back-to-back baskets from Sellew put Amherst back on top.
- With 10:07 to play in regulation, a basket by Dylan Groff extended the Mammoths' lead to eight and capped off a 13-3 run.
- Wesleyan slowly cut into the deficit and with under four minutes remaining, Bonner converted a 3-point play to get within one, 57-56.
- Shortly after, with just over a minute to play, Antone Walker caused an Amherst turnover and Hutcherson capitalized with a jumper inside the paint to put the Cardinals ahead 60-59 with 1:08 on the clock. It was Wesleyan's first lead since the 14:44 mark.
- With 11 seconds remaining, Sellew went to the line and hit both shots to give Amherst the one-point advantage.
- The Mammoths' defense played Wesleyan tight and didn't allow the Cardinals to get off a good look as they held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bonner was joined in double-figures by Hutcherson who finished with 14 points and three assists. JR Bascom scored eight points on 4-of-6 shooting while grabbing five boards, and Ravetz led the team with four assists and three steals. He also scored seven points and pulled in four rebounds.
- Amherst was led by Sellew, who finished with 19 points, while Fru Che dropped nine. Joseph Schneider led all players with 12 rebounds and Grant Robinson dished out four assists.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Friday and will wrap up the regular season against Colby and Bowdoin at home. Wesleyan will tip-off at 7 p.m. Friday night against the Mules and will play the Polar Bears at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 9.