CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – After a close first half, the Wesleyan University men's basketball team cruised in the second as the Cardinals defeated Pine Manor College in non-conference action Thursday night, 83-57. Wesleyan outscored the Gators 50-30 in the final 20 minutes.
Jordan Bonner registered a double-double with game-highs of 28 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Cardinals as they improved to 12-4 overall. Following the loss, Pine Manor dropped to 4-13 on the year.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Gators came out strong and took an 8-0 lead early on.
- A dunk by Jordan James at the 16:35 mark put the Cardinals on the board and ended Pine Manor's run, and a jumper by Austin Hutcherson just over three minutes later capped off a 10-0 stretch by the visitors.
- The game went back-and-forth over the next several minutes with the Gators taking a 27-26 lead at the 2:56 mark following five-straight points from Jamel Hamans.
- However, it proved to be the final point of the half for the home team as Wesleyan closed out the first with a 7-0 run to lead 33-27 at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a different story in the second half.
- Rasheed Bell hit a 3-pointer just 17 seconds into the half, cutting the deficit to three, but it was all Wesleyan the rest of the way as the Cardinals responded with an 8-0 run to go ahead by double-digits.
- Trailing by 14, Pine Manor answered with a run of its own as the Gators scored seven unanswered, but the seven-point deficit with 12:52 to play was the closest the home team would get the rest of the game.
- Wesleyan continued to increase its lead and with 7:06 on the clock, a layup by Bonner put the Cardinals on top by 19 points.
- From 5:10-to-1:40, Wesleyan outscored Pine Manor 18-2 to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The first half featured three ties and seven lead changes but the Cardinals dominated in the final 20 minutes of regulation.
- In addition to Bonner's 28, Antone Walker dropped 13 and Hutcherson scored 11. Bonner was 4-of-7 from downtown and 11-of-18 from the floor. Hutcherson grabbed nine rebounds and dished out a game-high six assists, and James finished with nine points, seven rebounds, and three blocks.
- Sayvonn Houston led the Gators with 17 points and nine boards. He was joined in double-figures by Hamans who scored 13 off the bench. Steven Collins dished out a team-high three assists and Hamans led all players with five steals.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Saturday, Jan. 19 and will play at Connecticut College. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.