MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Three players scored in double-figures for the Wesleyan University men's basketball team but the Cardinals dropped a non-conference game to Little Three rival and No. 2 Williams College on Saturday night in Silloway Gymnasium, 80-65.
Wesleyan (3-3) rallied late and got within six at the 5:29 mark, but James Heskett helped lead a run for the Ephs (7-0) as they put the game away down the stretch. Freshman Joe DeLollo had a season-high 15 points for the Cardinals on 5-of-6 shooting including 3-of-4 from downtown. Heskett led Williams with a game-high 22 points.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Ephs came out strong and opened the game on a 6-0 run.
- The half went back-and-forth but at the 7:06 mark, a layup by Kyle Scadlock gave the visitors a 30-20 lead.
- Wesleyan rallied with an 8-1 run capped off by a layup from JR Bascom to get within three with less than five minutes remaining before the break.
- However, Williams countered with eight unanswered as a basket by Michael Kempton at the 1:23 mark put the visitors ahead 39-28.
- After a bucket by Austin Hutcherson snapped the run, the Cardinals trailed 39-30 at halftime.
- Hutcherson led Wesleyan with 13 points at the break and Scadlock scored 12 for the Ephs.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Williams scored the first two baskets of the second half to increase its lead to 13.
- At the 15:40 mark, a 3-pointer by Bobby Casey put the Ephs up 50-35.
- Three-pointers from DeLollo, Antone Walker and Bonner, followed by a pair of free throws by Jordan James, helped cut the deficit to seven with 11:42 to play.
- After some back-and-forth action, the Cardinals went on a 6-0 run as a dish from James to Bascom cut the deficit to six and forced Williams to call a timeout. Ephs led 67-61 with 5:29 to play.
- Wesleyan's momentum was cut short, however, as Heskett scored five-straight and a 3-pointer by Casey put the Ephs up 75-61 with 3:32 remaining. Another jumper by Heskett less than a minute later capped off a 10-0 run, essentially putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bonner led Wesleyan with 18 points including five rebounds and three assists, while Hutcherson finished with 16, a game-high nine rebounds, three assists, two steals and two blocks.
- Four of Williams' starters finished in double-figures as Heskett scored 16 of his game-high 22 points in the second half. Casey dropped 14 in the final 30 minutes and finished with 16 points, eight rebounds and three assists. Scadlock registered 14 and nine boards, and Matt Karpowicz scored 13.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Thursday, Dec. 6 and will host Johnson & Wales in non-conference action beginning at 7 p.m.